Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Switching to ATF

BairleaFarm

I can only assume ive got 10w30 in my C160 due to the color I saw with both filters i busted this past weekend. Im thinking about switching to ATF. Add ATF run it for a little ehile and cycle the lift. Flush And do it all over again. I think the Tranny is do for a rebuild anyway based on its performance. What could it hurt? I figure at this point it wouldn't hurt and maybe the atf would clean her out a bit. ATF just seems more right to me than motor oil? Anyone see any major flaws to this than possible creating a few leaks?

Sparky

From whats been said on this and many other tractor forum over and over again is that you will NOT get all of the original oil out when you drain the tranny and that the ATF and any remaining oil will not mix. If you think you have tranny trouble now, wait till you do your little experiment.

Mike...........

kj4kicks

:imstupid: idea. In addition to the problems Mike mentioned, ATF is thinner than oil. Do the math.

BairleaFarm

Looks like im going to 10w30 :banghead: What happens when they dont fix? I

kj4kicks

What happens when they dont fix? I

:USA:

Maybe you should sell all of them and get a reel style push mower ? :banghead:

refracman

David

there are a sping that controls you acceleration. Item #s 75 in the parts brakedown. This spring is in the motor assembly check to see if its weakened or broken. If either has happened it will cause eradic behavior of the trans.

This is more of a problem with the hyrdogear than the piston to piston but it does occur. If you are usure of is condition or just need some giudence send me a pm

BairleaFarm

:USA:

Maybe you should sell all of them and get a reel style push mower ? :banghead:

What happens when they dont mix? is what it was supposed to say. My auto spell checker doesn't check for correctly spelled wrongly placed words. Ive grown extremely fond of these and plan on never selling if at all possible. As frustrated with the C160 as I may be I know my upsetyness will go away.

Rideawaysenior

I know that this is a topic of some heat that appears quite often, and every tractor (Wheel Horse) I have except one calls for 10W30. I have a Wheel Horse 10 where the decal on the pump fan shroud says to use ATF? ATF :wtf: I'm so funcused.

Brrly1

Dave Ya got to listen to these guys! I don't believe that they would make this stuff up. If you make the switch then the entire system needs to be purged fron one to the other. Like it probably says in your manual 10w30 is more that likely the preferred oil to use in this system. If I was you I would just slow down and take it easy and someone if not everyone here in the Square will lend a helping hand. Step back and take a deep breath it will be ok. Just have a little patience. Patience is a virtue! And that is a Good Thing. Something my mom has always said. Take care and good luck. Burly :banghead::USA::omg:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

BairleaFarm

O dont worry I decided on the 2nd reply that it was a bad Idea and ATF would not be a good option. I was just asking about the mixing or lack of. Does it foam or emulsify? One keeps the contaminants one doesn't what? To me not knowing much about oils I have no idea. Put ATF and oil in a jar and stir them up they mix? Maybe its because other than thickness and color I dont really understand what the difference it.

kj4kicks

RAS, the early automatics used ATF, the later ones used motor oil.

E.