Coley909

Positive ground on 1075 wh

pfrederi

I assume your tractor has a coil and points.  if it truly was converted to + ground then the wire from the ignition switch would be attached to the - neg terminal on the coil and the + terminal on the coil would go to the points. If it is wired teh other way the I would bet teh "conversion" was an accident not a planned thing.

Coley909

Coil is backwards fe98a42cfe39fed672a5c944b5bd0b4c.jpg

That picture is the ground wire

Coley909

Does anyone know if the polarity is switched will the starter gen spin the other way?

Kegler

Not sure the reasoning behind it but I purchased a 417H set up on positive ground, Ran very rough but I rode it home. Havn't had time to get into it to see if it was intentional or just had the battery installed backwards. tractor is very rough with almost 2000 hr but for $200. I thought if nothing else I could get my money back in parts. But would rather get it straightened out.

Edited by Kegler

Coley909

I'm switching it back as we speak. I found the starter gen spin the same way on either negative or positive ground. I thought maybe it was the wrong gen so that's why they switched it?

pfrederi

Not sure the reasoning behind it but I purchased a 417H set up on positive ground, Ran very rough but I rode it home. Havn't had time to get into it to see if it was intentional or just had the battery installed backwards. tractor is very rough with almost 2000 hr but for $200. I thought if nothing else I could get my money back in parts. But would rather get it straightened out.

If I remember correctly the engine will run if the coil is wired incorrectly but it will burn the points rapidly and it won't run well.

Save Old Iron

Does anyone know if the polarity is switched will the starter gen spin the other way?

The rotation will stay the same. The polarity of the armature IN RELATION TO THE POLARITY OF THE FIELD COILS remains the same. They are hard wired in that relationship inside the starter gen assy.

ONLY BY REVERSING THE WIRING OF THE FIELD COILS can you change the rotation of the armature in relation to the housing.

If I remember correctly the engine will run if the coil is wired incorrectly but it will burn the points rapidly and it won't run well.

And the spark plug ground electrode will wear instead of the center electrode.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

armature rotation will change in a dc motor that has permanent magnets for the field (toy motors, etc.)

starter gen's are shunt excited dc motors (the field coils are the "magnets") and the polarity of these field "magnets" are determined by their + and - hookups. Again, this hookup is hard wired inside the housing of the starter generator.

Edited by Save Old Iron

Save Old Iron

Google is always your best friend. Computers, tablets and smartphone technology bring the entire realm of human knowledge and experience directly to your finger tips. 

I beg you all to not let your cloud curiosity begin and end with posting "selfies" and showing me what you ate for lunch on Facebook.

http://www.homofaciens.de/technics-dc-electric-motor-wound-stator_en_navion.htm

http://www.homofaciens.de/technics-dc-electric-motor_en_navion.htm

Edited by Save Old Iron

Coley909

So I swapped everything and it runs beautiful I think my battery my be fried though and I'm only charging at 12.5 volts full throttle does that mean my regulator is shot as well?

Geno

I can't even find a 1075 manual in the manuals section here.   :eusa-think:

Edited by Geno

Coley909

Haha it's a rare breed

Coley909

Does anyone know if the regulator is shot charging at 12.5 volts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericj

to see if it is charging  test the voltage of the battery with the tractor off then start the tractor and see what the voltage is, 12.5 volts does sound low for tractor running, should be over 13 volts

eric j 

Coley909

I'm going to assume it's shot because nothing was switched besides the battery being backwards

chip61

If there is a shop somewhere nearby that rebuilds starters and generators they can probably bench test the generator and regulator for you-regulator may just need adjustment which they should be able to do.

Coley909

Ah ok I'll see what I can find I was given the paper work for the shop the rebuilt the generator last year from the last owner

gwest_ca

I can't even find a 1075 manual in the manuals section here.   :eusa-think:

The 875 and 1075 share a manual

Garry

gwest_ca

This old Kohler manual has a good section on the starter/generator

Garry