Sign in to follow this  
gattonde

Will a 2-stage snow blower fit a C-195?

gattonde

Does anyone know if the 2-stage Wheel Horse snow blower will fit on a C-195? I hope to try it once I find a replacement muffler. It looks like it will work to me, but figure to ask the forum and see if has been tried before.

:banghead:

Dan G

htopjimmy26

Hi, I also have a C195 [actaully 2] and the 2 stage snowblower. I have not mocked up yet but am thinking of doing the same thing. The only difference I can see is that the C195 is about 4 inches longer from the mid to front hitch than my smaller ,older tractors. This may or may not cause an interference problem with the blower housing, also the lift rod will need to be longer and this rod is quiter a bit different than the single stage tube. The lift rod for this blower is bent in I think two places, this could be quite fun to make if you gotta ahve a longer 1. The problem I think is that for some reason Wheelhorse never got around to designing the necessary parts to make that blower fit this tractor[Go figure, it's probably the only c series tractor really large enough to boss this blower around.] I may be making a mountain out of a molehill but I will know more for sure after this weekend as I'm gonna try to fit it then. I will report back with what I find :banghead: .

DMESS

The 2 stage blower came along several years after this tractor was produced. Given the 656 195's produced it certainly is no surprise that they didn't include it in the fitment. I'm sure it can be done with some tinkering/fab work. Give it a go and let us know how you make out! :banghead:

gattonde

Dana,

I would appreciate info on how you made it fit. No sense both of us going nut's. I need to replace my muffler before I try my retrofit. When I had the blower connected to my C-160 there was not much clearance to get to the front of the engine. The blower limited the amount I could open the hood.

Did you ever have to replace your muffler? If so, want did you use? I am having trouble finding anything. Right now I am considering modifying a C-171 muffer that I have access to. I will need to cut off the inlet and outlet pipes, make the hole bigger and weld in larger pipes.

Good Luck with you blower retrofit.

Dan G.

wh500special

I am considering modifying a C-171 muffer that I have access to.

Is it really a C171? If it is you have probably the only one of those critters anybody has seen other than in a brochure.

WH planned to debut their first twin cylinder C-series as the '78 C171. Supposed to have a Kohler KT-17. Engine problems pushed the Kohler aside in favor of a Briggs 16hp twin so the tractor was rechristened the C161-twin.

Later, when Kohler thought the KT17 bugs had been worked out (wrongly) the engine was fitted into the C175.

If you indeed have a 171 you have something really unusual.

Steve

htopjimmy26

Hi, fellow C195er there aren't to many of us [as you can probably tell], I did some quick looking and it doesn't look good as far as a stock muffler goes. I've never had to mess with mine so I'm not much help as far as a retrofit. I my take some flack from the purists :USA: for this but........I think they would look bitchin :banghead: with a chrome dual stack setup :omg: . I will be attempting to hook that blower up this saturday if weather permits. You could also consider two pepper pot on short pipes as an exhaust option.

gattonde

Steve,

Not sure if the muffler I found came off of a C-171 or C-175. I just know it came from a Kohler KT17 engine. I purchased the muffler from E-Bay but have not yet received it.

Dana,

I'm not a purist either, but would like to have a canister muffler. Although the twin pipes would look nice. Who know's what I will end up with. I measure my muffler and it is 4 1/2 " diameter, 8" long, and has 1 1/2 inch ID pipe on both ends. I think there has to be a canister muffler with these approximate dimensions out there somewhere. I just have to find it.

Hope you have it easy with the snowblower fitting this weekend. Let me know how you make out.

Dan Gatton

htopjimmy26

Just another quick idea, may not be any good. I think that Nelson was the maufacturer of the new muffler I bought for my c161, maybe try them and see if toro is just to lazy to order from them and they still offer it. Worth a try :USA: :banghead:

htopjimmy26

Well I've got some news, the 2 stage needs some reworking to fit a c195. The first problem is the c195 front and mid hitch are 4 inch further apart than on my 416, the idler shaft hits the hood if you try to push it in far enough to reach the hitch. There are 2 possible solutions as ar as I can tell. 1-Move your mid hitch plates ahead 3.5 inches to the next set of holes and drill the hitch plate to match the holes in the frame [you can hit 1 you have to drill second], and then say a small prayer, This may get you far enough away to hook everything up. 2-Make an adapter that hooks to hitch bar of the blower that moves it forward about 4inches[My thoughts are something similar to the dozer blade extension for the 520s, if you look at the blower mount bar you will see how an adapter could be made and attatched with a couple of bolts.] I hope this helps you I am going the second route but I only see this tractor every 2 weeks so my next installment will be awhile, Good luck :banghead:

gattonde

Thanks for the update Dana. I like your second option also. I don't know I if I will get to it this year. I found a muffler that will work for me. But when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. I am not getting any fuel. Need to check out the fuel pump.

Dan G

refracman

Guys the muffler cannister is the same used on the big C160 muffler for sure and maybe some others. So it is possible to cut the inlet and outlet off and replace them with the ones off your 195 muffler. The tabs that hold the heat sheild would be easy to fab but a little harder to weld.

I was checking it out because the muffler on the one I'm working on, the outlet has been cobbeled back on. If I do a resto on it I will fix it.

Cant help on the snowblower problem but good luck.

htopjimmy26

Check that garbage from fueltank is not plugging up the shutoff valve,or the fuel filter, or the inlet seat of the carburetor. Also have had a rubber fuel line deteriorate from the inside out and plug up the carb. These tractors are getting pretty old and some of mine hadn't been run in years so I encountered alot of fuel related problems. good luck :banghead: .