pacer

Peculiarities of starting old engines

pacer

Probably most all of us now have, or have had, an engine/s that you had to go through some sort of ritual only you knew to get it started - set the choke just so, position the throttle exactly there, cross your fingers, stick you tongue out, etc, etc. and nobody could start it except you! :eek: :eek:

I recently added electric fuel pumps to my most recent horse additions (two C-175s and a D-160) that were somewhat difficult to start, needing full choke and a LOT of spin time. This is hard on the starter and the battery - and my nerves! So I ordered up 3 of those $16 Chinese pumps and got them installed. Well, the pump completely altered my "starting ritual". Started out with the usual full choke and partial throttle - spin, spin, spin, nothing - they were flooding with all that gasoline coming in they werent used to!! So, I have to rethink this. Having had a electric on a D-180 for many years and its 'ritual' was simple - put the choke on and spin it 3-4 revs, then quickly pull the choke back about 1/3-1/2  and it would start right up, leave on a little bit of partial choke and away it'd go after about a minute or so. Well, using that 'ritual' at least got some results, and with some fiddling with choke and throttle positioning, I can now get them lit off pretty quickly. :woohoo:

What are some of your "rituals" to get one of your 'babies' going

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You know Pacer...    grimace.gif

we're going to need some picts of that tongue ritual thingy you've been doing.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

JimD

My C-85 has a similar problem to what you describe. Long spin time waiting to get fuel pumped all the way from the back of the frame by a weak fuel pump up to the OH140 Tecumseh engine I installed a few years ago, all the while with full choke, combined with lifting the fuel filter to help get the flow started. Add to that the finicky ignition switch that has to be turned to just the right spot in the key range to connect, and I've got myself a Barnum and Bailey three ring circus act going on here. Attention to detail is definitely an asset with this one. But when she pops, life is good and the driveway gets plowed. :)

Could you provide more information about the pump you bought? I'd like to check it out. :thumbs2:

• Like 1

WH nut

You know? Every motor is like a woman, you have to know just the right touch to get them fired up.

• Like 5

JimD

Thank you for the information Pacer! :)

specialwheelhorse

Yep and after while it all becomes second nature

No problem then your buddy gets on to start it and you think what in the world

I s wrong ,it always starts for me !!!

• Like 1

pacer

"it always starts for me !!!"

Heh! yep, cept for me its my son, he'll come over to help dad out and 10-15 mins later -- "Dad, I cant get it started, is something wrong with it?"

MalMac

Yep, been several different tractors on the property over the years. A bunch more if you count when we had the dealership. Every one of them started differently. Even the brand new ones. Around here we call it personality. Each one has it's own and has to be handled differently. Some are easy to get along with while others are very temperamental. Some are high strung and others are laid back. Just like real 4 legged horses. It's the ones that bite back and carry on before you get that first sound that you have ignition after turning the key and playing with the throttle and choke you got to watch out for.

squonk

Jim, PM Sent! 

• Like 1

JackC

"Could you provide more information about the pump you bought?"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251553958774?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

According to the listing, the spec on that pump says .3 to .5 MPA.  I believe 1 MPA = 145 psi.  Converting to psi that would be 43.5 psi to 72.5 psi which would be much higher than the typical 2 to 4 psi of the low pressure fuel pumps on carburetor equipped garden tractors.  Maybe it should be .03 to .05 MPA.  Other sites list the pressure as 3-6 psi which may be correct. The electric fuel pumps I purchased are Airtex E8016S rated at 2.5 to 4.5 psi.  They are available from a number of sources including eBay and Amazon for around $26.$_57.JPG

Edited by JackC
  • Like 1

JimD

Jim, PM Sent! 

Thanks again Mike. :)

sorekiwi

Thanks again Mike. :)

I used one of those pumps on my diesel tractor to feed the injection pump.  No problems so far in about 15 months.

My Kohler powered 300 and 500 series tractors take a while to start when cold (I am sure that it is a fuel drain back issue).  I think they crank faster with no choke, so I spin them for the first 10 seconds or so with no choke (to fill the carb) and then give them full choke to start.  As soon as they "cough" I reduce the choke to about 1/2 way, and they normally cough their way into life.

A bit like me in the mornings......

• Like 3

SousaKerry

My C-175 had me stumped for some time, would crank and crank and then flood out till it started.  Rebuilt carb more then once and finally put on the electric pump.  Still had problems, m ritual became crank it till it flooded pull the air cleaner off and blow down carb like giving it CPR then maybe it would start.  Then one day I found out that that my less then mechanical step son figured it out. :banghead: :banghead:

No throttle whatsoever and plenty of choke and she will pop right off every time...  Only thing I can figure is it is getting too much fuel too soon and fouling the plugs.

vinnyfish1

I have the MR.Gasket micro 42s electric fuel pump on my C145 AUTO ...it works well.. kinda like fuel injection ..found it best to turn the choke off as soon as it fires , which is very quick !!

squonk

I have 5 Kohlers. 4 to 16 HP. All of them want no throttle at start up 2 want no choke at all.

Ibuprofen

Full choke, half throttle seems to work for most everything I've been on. After it cranks push the choke back in and let it run.