Mr. 856

Rim size for narrower snow tires?

Mr. 856

So say I was to follow some of the advice on this forum and go with a narrower tire for plowing. Im assuming I would need a different rim? I have the original 23x8.50x12 tires and rims on the now. one of the tubes it shot and well these 50+ year old tires are in not bad shape but are showing signs of dry rot. Im thinking a new set/set of tires are in the future. So if my tire currently is 12" wide then what would I want for width for snow? Or should I just say screw it and put a set of 23x8.50x12 ags on the rear with weights and solve the problem with one set of tires? I have weights........and a pretty flat gravel driveway. have a walk behind blower to for some spots I cant plow so I always have to get he blower out anyways to clear snow I see myself needing "year round" tires more then actual snow tires. Looking for any opinions.Where would I buy new rims that work on the wheelhorse hubs that bolt right up if I was to buy narrower snow tires?

bmsgaffer

You have 8.5" wide tires. I think tires as narrow as 7.5 will work (the rims are 7.5")

Ags will work too if you have a flat gravel drive.

If your tires are in good shape and you have a gravel drive, I would just get a good set of 2-link chains to fit your turf tires...

Probably your cheapest place to find wheel horse rims is on another wheel horse ;)

slammer302

Your tires are currently 8 1/2" wide and 23" tall on a 12" rim. I think you would be fine with the same size tires in ag tread

Mr. 856

another question.......do the ags run the same sizes? meaning Carlisle say vs. deerstone?

bmsgaffer

They run the same size on name only.

deestones run pretty small according to people on here that have bought them. Carslisle's run a little closer to what they say.

Martin

The Carlisles will typically be bigger (closer to being correct) than the Deestone or some of the other brands. Duro is one of the others that comes to mind. All new tires, from my experience are undersize, out of the three mentioned, in my opinion, Carlisle is the closest, followed by Deestone and then Duro.

Never had any experience with Firestone, but seeing they are usually a more expensive tire, I would expect the sizing to be closer to being right. Maybe someone who has them could input some info here.....

from the tire size you mentioned, im thinking you have 12 x 7 wheels, the Carlisle 23 x 8.50-12 would probably be the best for that size.

But if you went for the Duro ags, I have used the 23 x 10.50-12 size on the original 12 x 7 wheels (875) and they look perfect......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

ericj

if you want year round tires you might want to think about the Carlisle all trails i bought a set for my 520-H that i have the blower on but it's to early in the season to give a good answer on how well they perform. i have a set of 2 link chains on stand by if i need them. i run ag tires on most of my tractors year round but i find on gravel when the snow turns to ice you still need chains. black top you can get by with out chains as long as you don't have any hills.

i agree with whats been said above about tire sizes been down that road already and found the above statements true almost to the word, so good luck and let us know what you decide, hopefully i didn't muddy the water up to much for you :banghead:  :confusion-confused:   

here's what my all trails look like in a 23x10.50x12 on a 8.5x12 rim

eric j

post-4375-0-04573500-1417974409_thumb.jp

Edited by ericj
  • Like 2

km3h

I am always confused when it comes to tires. Worse yet, when you ask others, you get a mirad of responses and very seldom do you get a matching consensus of opinion. My 416-H has 23x950-12 on the rear. I asked for guidance as to what size Ag tires to use and was advised to use 8.50 or 10.50. I opted for the Deestone 10.50 because they are a bit smaller than advertised and would fitn the rimns with no trouble. Then while rummaging around the upper level of my shop I found a pair of 10,50 rims and decided to use them. Have not mounted the tires yet but will do so this week after I put one more coat of paint on the rimes.

Then I asked about Tri ribs for the front tires and never did get a definitive answer. I would like to use the original rims if possible.

ericj

i have not used the tri ribs so i can't comment on them but as far as the deestones, i would mount the deestone 10.50 on the 7" rims not the 8.5 rims. i have nanco 23x10.5012 mounted on both 8.5 and 7" rims and prefer the way they look on the 7' rims. they actually measure 9.50 on the 7" rims and look good. i've been told that the nanco and the deestone are almost the same tire. i put chen sin 23x10.50x12 on 7" rims, and they actually balloon out, should have put them on 8.5" rims but don't look that bad. the set of nanco on the 8.5" rims and had to put tubes in them to get them to mount. 1 when first mounting and 1, 6 months later when it wouldn't stay inflated.

here's the picture of the chen sin 

eric j

post-4375-0-96210600-1417976316_thumb.jp

post-4375-0-72411200-1417976330_thumb.jp

post-4375-0-45070200-1417976346_thumb.jp

post-4375-0-43816100-1417976357_thumb.jp

Edited by ericj
  • Like 3

Martin

Good info there Eric.

Nick, If you want to run tri ribs on the front wheels you have (5.38 x 8, if oem), I would only recommend the Firestone tri ribs and not the Deestone D401 tri ribs as many use (including myself) on the older narrow rims. Sure, some members have mounted them on the later wide rims, but I think they look stretched out too much. I went with the Vredestein V61 5 ribs on my 416 tractors because I didn't want to pay the extra premium the Firestone tri rib tires usually command and I actually like the 5 ribs better on the later tractors... each has there own opinion on that though.....  

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1