PMaine

Snowblower Chain Broke

PMaine

I have a tall chute single stage blower, I was touching up the driveway and on the way back to the garage the chain broke. It was not under any load (no snow going through it) when it let go.

I've fixed it already, but what I'm wondering is do these chains break often? Should they be replaced every other year or so?

The cogs all looked good, no sharp teeth.

oldredrider

They usually wear out before they break. Check for a frozen bearing or idler sprocket before replacing.

PMaine

Everything seems in great shape, it all moves freely with no noise!

I've put a new chain on it, and ran it, so far so good.

jeff lary

My blower is 1995 same as yours tall chute single stage. My chain is original and I blow a lot of snow 2 yards one is 150 X 25 and the other is maybe 100 X 15. I use bar and chain oil on mine ( the chain) I put it in a pump oiler and have my son just bump the PTO lever. As the chain spins I pump the oiler and saturate the chain  maybe 2 times per winter.

It is at the end of the adjustment and has been for at least the last 10 winters. The sprockets look good and bearings are smooth. I think sometimes you just get lucky and get a good part my good part seams to be the whole machine or at a min a good chain. Good luck Jeff

RMCIII

Jeff - I may try the bar and chain oil. I have been using Lucas chain lubricant in the spary can. At $10.00 a can it can get expensive, but no complaints.

Rob

jeff lary

Well I have used the spray too but  b&c oil was there when I got in the mood to lube. I don't presume to tell you that b&c oil will make a chain last like mine. But mine is 19 years old and that's what I do. I have zero plans to change the chain anytime soon either. Should it be changed yea probably but it works and is not causing damage any place else sooooooo...........