Zeek

Hydro Engagement Lever - Is This Bad?

Zeek

This a 1276.  As you can see below, the arm connected to the transmission (that also engages the pump) it pretty worn.  Does the fact that this level originally should be pushed down farther affect the drivability of this?  I don't know what that lever does.

Thanks for any info.  I noticed the reverse on this is a little weak, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

39ca58cb-0dfe-4da2-94e7-96ec927acb2b_zps

daveoman1966

That lever is connected to the PARKING PAWL inside the transmission.  When you engage (push DOWN) the lever, the parking brake is relaeaed.

What you have is typical for the age.  As long as the spring hold tension on the lever, it should be ok. 

When pulled UP, the parking pawl (brake) is engaged.  DO NOT EVER pull up on the lever in a PANIC STOP.  doing this grinds the parking pawl into trans gears which ruins both...as well as the hy7dro pump. Metal filings get into the pump and scar the brass machined surfaces.

post-1200-0-54980400-1417459159.jpg

• Like 2

Zeek

So it sounds like if it moving, it's good  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Thanks for the reply and the picture.