Fordiesel69

How to set megneto air gap on Tecumseh?

Fordiesel69

Did a set of points on an H70 recently, did not have to worry about the air gap this time, but just for curiosity, how do you check / adjust it with the mag being under the flywheel?

rick

The coil is permanently mounted on the stator, which is rotated to properly time the engine. There is no adjustment for the air gap on the internally mounted coil equipped engines.The leads are removed from the points terminal and the nut tightened back down for this procedure.  The point gap is adjusted to specs, the piston is located at 0.090 B.T.D.C., (in the case of the H70 engine) and the stator bolts loosened, the stator is rotated to the point that the points just break and open the circuit. The stator is then tightened down. I don't have the factory dial indicator that has a sleeve that screws into the spark plug hole, so I remove the cylinder head and use a universal dial indicator. When points are needed, it's time to decarbon the head anyway.

It is a picky procedure, to be sure, and the engine will run without it, albeit sometimes not the best. I have a K161 on a Troy-Bilt tiller that will not run well with a 0.020 point gap, I have to use the timing marks to set it right.

Just sayin'

Fordiesel69

good to know, thanks.