JoeM

653 Help

JoeM

I need some 653 ID help. Picked this up the other day and started looking at parts etc. There is no model tag just the 653 decal.

A couple of the things that need sorted out are; the rear hubs on the uni drive have 5 lugs. The part manuals show 3 lugs, the transmission seems to be original?? The engine mount appears to be for a Kohler. The original engine was missing.

I am going to just leave the 51 years of love as is and I am going to clean it up, and get it moving with a spare Kohler. I do need the specs of the engine pulley diameter etc. as well as the height above the frame to the center of the shaft as well as the distance from the front of the frame to the center of the shaft.

There a snow blade in the pictures, is it Wheel Horse?

Any help will be appreciated.

Joe

post-6026-0-01785200-1417298089.jpg

post-6026-0-03554800-1417298114.jpg

post-6026-0-46374600-1417298130_thumb.jp

post-6026-0-66320300-1417298147.jpg

post-6026-0-74199200-1417298183.jpg

post-6026-0-57992800-1417298201.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I ordered 3-bolt replacement hubs about 35-40 years ago and the replacements came like yours with 5 bolts so they have likely been replaced.

Garry

JoeM

That makes sense. I am sure that helped limit the parts inventory crossing over with others.

Live4outdoors

Hey that should be a Tecumseh motor mount hh60 I believe. You can put a Kohler in but have to change wiring you can get the manual on the site here. I'm not home for a couple days but can get any pictures of an all original 653 that you may need just let me know or pm me

JoeM

So far it looks like there has been some changes. I am going to check that wiring today, I know when I first looked at the wiring it appeared to be butchered. I am betting the original motor was Tecumseh and someone changed It out for a Kohler. I have a 8 HP Kohler complete and I am going to install it, If possible when you get back  how about sizing that motor pulley. Some pics of the steering wheel, park brake lever (its missing), and the hood attachment in the front will be helpful.

Thanks

stevasaurus

Nice project.  :)  I don't think that snow blade is from Wheel Horse...almost positive.

JoeM

Looked closer at wiring and blade today. Wiring is for a Kohler and found traces of green paint on the blade, maybe John Deere.

Live4outdoors

Hey you bet, it will probably be closer to the weekend when I'm home but will shoot you some pics.

Live4outdoors

The pulley is 2 1/2 round by 2 1/16 deep. The front hood mount is a knurled nut similar to the ones to hold to the gas tank just a little longer, there's a member here that sells a wonderful kit just search him or he's on eBay. Here are the pictures you requested...anything else just let me know!

post-14030-0-51543200-1417803047_thumb.j

post-14030-0-55074800-1417803057_thumb.j

post-14030-0-13335100-1417803068_thumb.j

Live4outdoors

I couldn't find the knurled nut man on here but his eBay name is haasman28 he doesn't have any listed now but, you contact on there he will let you know how to get him on here to get some does a great job!

JoeM

Thanks to everyone for all the information. I have been gathering parts and hope to pull it into the barn this weekend and start to get her running.

Lane Ranger

Gene Simpson is  haasman28 and he sells some great knurled head 1/4 inch nuts like the original  ones used on the Wheel Horse hoods!