RMCIII

Onan, vs. Kohler, vs. Techy vs. Wisconsin vs. Honda

clueless

Two cams, belt driven,no heads. Block all one casting,(lost wax casting). If it past 200hr and hadn't drop a sleeve and you keep it clean they can be good engines.Chris.

546cowboy

No they didn't make an overhead cam and I should have checked my post. I meant to say an overhead valve 18 hp. Kohler. I have also heard more than once about all the problems with that engine after I had one. Actually that was in a Simplicity that I bought at an auction that was said to have run when they unloaded it from the PO's trailer but would not start afterwards.

Someone brought up Kawasaki in the discussion and I have always been an American built guy but with the high cost and low quality of stuff made here now, we don't have much choice. But I'll be darned if I will spend the money on a Honda or Kawasaki when I can get a Chinese knock-off that uses the same parts for much less. Another thing that bothers me is Honda's use of crankshaft bushings instead of bearings on some of their engines. If I'm going to spend $ 1800 for an engine and kit to install it in my 520H I want to be sure it will take that PTO belt running off the crankshaft for many years to come.

• Like 2

RMCIII

Lynn - you bring up an interesting point. So, even though most internal parts probably come from the same dist. center or warehouse, you would still purchase something that has a braninding of American made but really is just put together in America?

Rob

SousaKerry

1. Kohler for no other reason then I seem to have a lot of them and they are easy to work on.  Robust cast iron time proven design in a reasonably sized package. 

2. Wisconsin, heavy, durable, and magnetos need I say more.  My dad had a piece of equipment sitting outside for 10 years wind had blow off the bucket that was covering the vertical exhaust pipe and water filled the cylinder.  This spring he had me drag it out of the weeds and try to get it going when I found the water and of coarse the piston was rusted fast to the cylinder.  He filled it with WD-40 and let it sit for 2 months giving it a whack every few days.  Eventually if freed up and he got it to turn over.  Dad pulled the oil pan popped the piston out and honed the cylinder (while it was still in the machine)  put in a new set of rings and it ran good.  Now it sits at the end of the field he last worked with it in the rain again.

3. Briggs but only because they are not Tecumseh.

4. Tecumseh,  cheaply build unreliable junk but the do run and I have way to many of them.

• Like 1

motox25

1. Onan, never thought it would be my engine of choice but I take care of my equipment and those engines have more power than any small engine I've used. Plus they start easy and sound great. Cons, harder to work on. Even after spending hours tracing electrical problems it's still my mower of choice.

2. Kohler, very reliable engine though not as smooth and powerful as the Onan. Love the magnums and cast iron models but I had a single cylinder command that was horrible, not sure if it was a lemon or what.

3. Honda, I have a 20+ year old HR214 push mower that still starts on the first pull. However, it's hard to find a good Honda in anything but a push mower since they don't tend to like the excessive PTO pressure as a repower engine so can't say Ill ever own one besides in a push mower.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

KOHLER M18,     because they put me in my happy place :D 

• Like 2

can whlvr

if its older engines then kohler is first with Honda right behind,if its today a true Honda,dont know what guys are saying about Hondas not liking the cold,im a mason and use Honda motors every day six days of the week all year around and Hondas are the best starting motor hands down

• Like 3

refracman

Kohler ll - I know them and the run great and easy to work one

Wisconson- A true beast, more power than any else I have ran, second only because of weight and configuration

Onan- great power but them carbs!

• Like 2

RMCIII

I have to agree with the Honda statement. I have a couple Honda engines both pull start. They always fire on the 2nd pull. I also have a B&S 8hp. that usually takes a good 6 to 8 pulls to get it going.

Rob

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Nobody mentioned Robin Subaru. I don't have a twin but I do have a single on my log splitter that is hands down better than a Honda. It has ball bearings on both ends of the crank and a timing chain for the camshaft instead of a rubber belt running in in oil like Honda does.

My one B&S Intek starts usually on the second pull as well as my three "Chones" from HF.

If one of my Kohler Commands failed, I would look seriously into a Subaru EH65 as a replacement. They have a five year warranty as well as some nice engineering features.

• Like 2

RMCIII

John-

Funny you should mention Subaru...I just purchased a Rigid Pressure washer 3300psi, with a EFI Subaru engine....... That thing is amazing!

Rob

Desko

Day in and day out it would be an onan they never lack power and run good even if it is on one cylinder sometimes i have 1 kohler k161 and what a pain to get to start when it did run its out of a cub cadet 71 but ir simplicity is nice to work with other than thay pesky governor shaft that broke but ive ran broggs twins and i like them but they aren't a true commercial engine as there are no valve guides just block so when they egg out its off to the machine shop and techy just forget about them hated tjem and still do never would run right so

1)Onan, powerful and smooth

2)Briggs, you can rum the snot out of them and still run

3)Kohler, no complaints only have 1 so i can make a comment

4)Anything but techy you could give me something powerd by hamsters on wheels and it would be better and probably run longer too

• Like 1