Hammerhead

A customer brought in a good one to repair!

Hammerhead

I got a call last year to appraise a guy's Wheel Horse for him. I went and met him and he said his uncle had this 1963 WH he wanted appraised. I told him it wasn't a 1963 but a 1961. He didn't believe me since his uncle bought it new in 1963. It has a replacement hood on it and a later square seat. So it could have been fixed up at a dealer and sold in 1963. The tractor wasn't running at the time I met him and had no spark. He worked on it for days but couldn't get it to spark at all. I appraised it for him and he said right away, did you want to buy it? I said yes and tried not to act too excited! He wanted $300.00 for it and I said I would take it for that. He called me a few days later and said his uncle didn't want to sell it after all! Dang that sucks! I got a call from him the other day and he left a message to call him. I got all excited thinking he was finally ready to sell it to me! But when I called him back he said he wanted me to repair it! Bummer. So he dropped it off last week and my buddy and I wrenched on it for several hours fixing all of the non working parts and replacing all the wrong parts on it. Turns out the coil was wired wrong, both diodes were in upside down and blown out, the gas tank was gummed up with varnish and the carb needed rebuilt, the wiring was all rigged up and needed figured out!

After we got all of that repaired, I put a shine on it and it cleaned up pretty nice! He probably won't recognize it without all that barn dust on it. So it has the original H55 Tecumseh on it and it runs like a champ now! It revs up pretty high and sounds great with the original muffler and long pipe set up. It's a nice tight motor and a great style of WH, one of my favorite models they made. I got the muffler guard put back on and the drive belt guard put back on too, not pictured though. So it is a nice factory looking unit now, I charged him $200 to do all of this work which was pretty cheap I thought. The right side of it is cleaned up and the left side was still dirty at the time of these pics. I haven't got the final pics of it yet.

post-114-0-20177900-1416792711_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-99896900-1416792737_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-50067800-1416792762_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

boovuc

Nice!

Sean Keys

Looks great!!

RMCIII

Hammer - nice job... I use to drive out to Hoover dam in Sunbury, when I lived, in Westerville. Great little area. Kinda been built up a little bit now. But still a great area.

Rob

KC9KAS

Looks good.

I was expecting you to say after charging $200 to fix it he said, "just keep it".

• Like 1

Tankman

Nice classic Horse!

Looks like one of my first "real" tractors!   :)