diablo

Sickle Bar Identification

diablo

I've had this sickle bar for at least 20 years.  It won't fit my C100 but looks as though it could be adapted.  The number on it appears to be A-40841 and I'd appreciate any help in identifying it further.  Attached is a photo of it and I can answer any questions if required.  Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul 

post-14255-0-78775400-1416247112_thumb.j

gwest_ca

The serial number won't identify the model but it is a 1963 serial number. What length of cut? 42" or 50"?

Garry

Adding

42" model SMS-42A

50" model SMS-50

diablo

Thanks for the quick shout!  The length of the cutters and guards is 42 inches, excluding any other components.  I guess this makes it a 42" mower?  I had gone to the local dealer for some parts and they said. "come out here and look at this, you've got the only Wheel Horse tractor around here".  It was removed working from a trade-in.  I knew these were not common so we struck a good deal.  I had to put bearings on the wobble plate and then life got in the way.  Now I'm retired again and want to now more about this.  Thanks again,

Paul

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Hope this is the correct manual

If you have a hydro transmission

Garry

KC9KAS

:WRS:   Hope you get your sickle mower going on a WH!

diablo

Thanks for the welcome.  I slid it under the C100 last night and decided that I'm not going to modify either the tractor or the mower just to have it hanging on thereI no longer have the property to manage that I've had in the past.  Right now I think I'll try to round up a tractor it will fit and give me a winter project to play with.  I put new wobble plate bearings in it when I got it so many years ago and it looks like I have a complete mower.  Looking forward to identifying and hunting down another WH! 

Paul

stevebo

I would guess any 6-800 series should work. I would try and find a 702, 753 or 854. Good luck

gwest_ca

Add the 1045 tractor to your search list. Good luck.

Garry

gwest_ca

The Attachment Interchange lists the SMS-42A as SMS-42-A.

Here are all the models from the list

1961 model 701

1962 models 502, 552 and 702

1963 models 603, 633, 653 and 753

1964 models 604, 654, 704, (754 not on list), 854 and 1045

1965 models 605, 655, 855, (875, 1055, and 1075 - these require the 6051 idler)

Model 1045 is considered a 1964 model but also shows up in a 1965 parts manual and also requires the 6051 idler.

diablo

Slow down!  I can't write that fast!!  Wow.........so much information.  I'm on the right board for sure!  Only thing left now is to get in the truck and start looking.  Thanks again,

Paul

oldredrider

Not sure on this, but it might be for a 953. Check the width of the frame mount. Large or small frame? I think the large frame measures 9". Again, not sure but you don't want to get the "wrong" tractor.

diablo

I appreciate the thought.  The interchange chart does not list the SMS-42-A as adaptable to the 953But we know what that means!  Anyway, my shaft support measures as follows:  Inside dimension - 6 7/8" and the outside dimension is 7 1/4".  I wonder where I could find the frame dimensions of the various older models.  I'm going to look at a 654 later today and will take that measurement from it.  Thanks,

Paul in Hendersonville, NC

Lane Ranger

One of the 50 inch model Wheel Horse sickle bar mowers was made for the 953 and 1054  and the frame plate was one inch wider than the other 50 inch version.  The Wheel Horse  Implement Manuals  has the details on this.    

• Like 1

Geno

Slow down!  I can't write that fast!!  Wow.........so much information.  I'm on the right board for sure!

That is for sure and :WRS:

One of the 50 inch model Wheel Horse sickle bar mowers was made for the 953 and 1054  and the frame plate was one inch wider than the other 50 inch version.  The Wheel Horse  Implement Manuals  has the details on this.    

Trouty has one of those Lane.  :)

Lane Ranger

This is one out 50 inch sickle bar on our   1054-A Wheel Horse!   The other 50 inch sickle bar mower we have is for the  1 inch narrower frame.