rustykan

Kohler K301 Fuel Filter?

rustykan

If you get a spark with the jumper and no spark without then there is a problem with the 12 volt feed from the switch...or to the switch from the battery. Usually there the switch power comes from the hot side of the solenoid.

When you say spark at the coil.....we want spark at the plug....with the jumper in place...start the engine....

Maybe I misunderstood your earlier instructions. So I am supposed to leave the jumper wire connected and try to start it? I connected one end to the hot side of the solenoid and just touched the other end to the positive terminal on the coil and got a spark at the coil, but no spark through my spark tester which was still connected between the plug and spark plug wire.

Trouty56

Try to start it...my thought is that maybe you aren't getting 12 volts to the coil through the switch....the jumper will be sure you get power to the coil.... If it starts then you will have a starting point.

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 1

rustykan

Try to start it...my thought is that maybe you aren't getting 12 volts to the coil through the switch....the jumper will be sure you get power to the coil.... If it starts then you will have a starting point.

I will give that a try in the morning and let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

rustykan

Ended up finding one of my new spade terminals wasn't crimped as well as I thought it was. It was one of the ones on the PTO safety switch that has two wires in one connector. Think I got it crimped tighter this time. That's what you get for using the wrong tools! Started right up after I fixed this problem. Seems to have a little miss and intermittent backfire. I have not adjusted the carb yet or set the max RPM's. Which should I do first and could this have anything to do with the miss?

Trouty56

work with the carb now to see if you can get it straightened out....start with the idle then move to the high seped needle...glad you got fire to it.

JustinW.73

I've had some clear pleated filters air lock and not flow worth beans. I've had better luck with the red Briggs filters and that's all I use now.

Ya I'd try the Briggs too. I think they have better filters.

fireman

Ended up finding one of my new spade terminals wasn't crimped as well as I thought it was. It was one of the ones on the PTO safety switch that has two wires in one connector. Think I got it crimped tighter this time. That's what you get for using the wrong tools! Started right up after I fixed this problem. Seems to have a little miss and intermittent backfire. I have not adjusted the carb yet or set the max RPM's. Which should I do first and could this have anything to do with the miss?

Do yourself a favor and download the service manual from the Kohler website for the K301. It will walk you through how to properly adjust the carb. and anything engine related.