Terry M

Kohler K161T help

Terry M

Having some problems with my kohler and just looking for some opinions on what "might" or "could be" a problem.     engine starts well, idles well ....but on throttle increase it bogs, pops like the carb is really out of adjustment and occasionally back fires.  carburetor adjusting doesn't help any.    Just bought it and was told that it has new points and coil.       one thing that I did notice is that when I shut of the fuel supply to run it out of gas, it would start to run good on throtttle increase soon before it would run out of gas.. :confusion-scratchheadblue:   Just looking for some constructive opinions, ideas or comments...This would  appreciated .

woodchuckfarmer

Sounds like a good carb cleaning is in order.

Shynon

Carb clean and new gaskets carb to block and air cleaner to carb. How loose is the throttle shaft? That will not help if drawing in extra air.

Tom

slammer302

If you leave the gas on after shut off does it start running out the carb the float might not be working properly

Terry M

Throttle shaft moves, but not very much.     no fuel come fom the carb that I can tell.    might be worth trying to replace the carb??    I've been reading up on my kohler manual...not too much help yet.

Thanks for the responses . :thanks:

Shynon

Generally if the carb shaft is not loose a good cleaning and new carb kit and it will run. Make sure the small holes in the needle are clean, soak and blow with compressed air. These are not like Tecky carbs.

Tom

prondzy

if p.o. put new points in, might be worth your time to double check the points gap too  .020" for new points,  Terry you say backfire, is this a backfire out the exhaust or out the carb?

Edited by prondzy

Terry M

if p.o. put new points in, might be worth your time to double check the points gap too  .020" for new points,  Terry you say backfire, is this a backfire out the exhaust or out the carb?

P.O. said he put the old points back in because the new aftermarket points wouldn't work( he told me this after I bought it and started asking him questions)   It backfires out the exhaust when I'm trying to raise the rpm's.   considering how its running thats probably to be expected.  I'm just going to order some Kohler points and try cleaning the carb.   I'm not a mechanic and this engine and my K91 on the work bench are the  the first kohler's I've ever owned... and just learning about these. :) .  Thanks for the comments Mike and tom, woodchuck and slammer :handgestures-thumbupright: