Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

PTO 418-A

CHARGER9AUTO

I have some trouble with the PTO wires where they should Connect into top or bottom switches . Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

I have some trouble with the PTO wires where they should Connect into top or bottom switches . Ben

I eliminated the Park Break wires put electrical tape around them so they don't short out now the 418-A does not start . :USA::banghead: Ben

Sparky

Hey Ben. It sounds like you might have disconnected the PTO safety switch wires from your post. I cant tell you where there supposed to go but I suspect thats the reason it wont start. I'm assuming that it doesnt even turn over right. That would be a safety switch issue.

Did you check and double check the two fuses to be sure their not blown. Read them out with a continuity tester to be sure. Dont use your eyes only to check if a fuse is bad or not.

I bet if you had a wiring diagram for that particular tractor it would be easy to eliminate the PTO safety stuff to see if it will start and then fix the PTO safety switches. Maybe one of the YAHOO Manuals groups has it.

Mike..........

TT

I thought this tractor ran when you traded for it, Ben. :banghead::USA::omg:

Ever hear of the old saying "if it ain't broke - don't fix it"?

Sounds like it's time to put it back the way it was, and then let your fingers off of it. :thumbs:

CHARGER9AUTO

Hey Ben. It sounds like you might have disconnected the PTO safety switch wires from your post. I cant tell you where there supposed to go but I suspect thats the reason it wont start. I'm assuming that it doesnt even turn over right. That would be a safety switch issue.

Did you check and double check the two fuses to be sure their not blown. Read them out with a continuity tester to be sure. Dont use your eyes only to check if a fuse is bad or not.

I bet if you had a wiring diagram for that particular tractor it would be easy to eliminate the PTO safety stuff to see if it will start and then fix the PTO safety switches. Maybe one of the YAHOO Manuals groups has it.

Mike..........

Hey Mike, I found some wires cut behind the circut board two of them lead the top PTO switch on the side post with no power . ( 2 ) live wires is for switch 1 Connector - part of 5 fits into switch 2 . I have no eletricity to start the tractor I fixed the other wires that were taped together with open ended Conectors to make it look neat . I never intended to screw up my 418-A I should find out the problem and makeit run then post it on EBAY . I don't deserve this 418 Twin Cylinder . because It's not meant for me I should not own any tractors .Ben...... :omg::USA: :banghead:

Sparky

Dont get down on yourself Ben. I think you just fiddled with something that was workin allright before you touched it.

Remember when you buy a 21 year old tractor your buying all the modifications and personal touches that were done by previous owners. That tractor has had at least 4 owners before you.

And as we all know, when safety switch stuff goes bad most guys, including me, tend to bypass them and move on. I think I have only one tractor with a working seat switch.

Try to put it back the way it was and see if that "cures it". You may have to bypass the PTO safetys alltogether to get past this glitch. This wouldnt be a problem if its going to be a plow tractor since the PTO isnt necassary for plowing.

Another trick I have used when takin something apart is take a couple of good close up pics of whatever it is I'm workin on and load em on my computer for referance later.

Good luck......Mike.........

CHARGER9AUTO

Hey Mike, I touched two with to make contacted and it started the 418-A I put them in correct spot to the PTO switch It runs now :banana: :banghead: I'm sorry for my rude actions . Ben............. :horseplay: :horseplay:

Sparky

Congratulations on gettin her running Ben :banghead: .

Now instead of tinkering with the 418 start driving it and workin it and have some fun with her!

Mike.........

CHARGER9AUTO

Mike, I think this in order :banghead: for me that my 418-A runs . I used her to remove leaves with AGRI - FAB 42" Lawn Sweeper pulled behind the tractor . Ben........... :USA: