snowmoboyle

520H mower deck questions

snowmoboyle

Is a 48" the deck to use with a 520H ? I see you can do up to a 60" - is that too much deck for this tractor?  Dad has a 48" and he's happy with that, I'm more with the old adage more is better hahaha

Cable

The 60 inch deck is rather heavy.  Consider how level you lawn is too because more scalping may be a problem.  You will notice extra wear on the mid-frame quick attach on any tractor that has used the 60 inch for any time.  The only one that I ever had I got ride of. 

snowmoboyle

The 60 inch deck is rather heavy.  Consider how level you lawn is too because more scalping may be a problem.  You will notice extra wear on the mid-frame quick attach on any tractor that has used the 60 inch for any time.  The only one that I ever had I got ride of. 

Ya dad said his 48 is good,  he wouldn't go bigger.  Too bad they didn't make a 54! I'm sure I'll live by just finding a 48 somewhere!!!!

cleat

I love my 60. No scalping issues whatsoever, My other deck on the other 520 is a 42 that I use for trimming but don't really need it, the 60 would do it all.

• Like 1

rick

There is a trade-off with a wider deck. Maneuverability and quality of cut. Maneuverability  as in getting in between and around obstacles in the yard. Quality of cut as in smoothness and evenness of the finished yard. Now a nice level landscaped yard is different than reclaimed pasture (that's me) but you still have to get around the yard to cut it. Too wide a deck for the yard makes for a lot of backing and filling, so to speak. My 310-8 with the 37" deck makes as pretty a cut as a push mower on my yard, it's just my yard isn't smooth landscaped yard. I prefer my 416H with the 48" deck to cut my grass, including around the pond and cutting the path/road to the pond. 

IMHO, a big yard should be part vegetable garden, provided there are no trees. Leave enough grass to play croquet, and a bench or two to rest in!

cheesegrader

I have a 42, 48 (x2), and 60 (x2).

I use the 60s.

For a big yard with no obstacles, it is fantastic.

The quality of cut is at least as good as the 48.

It will scalp if the yard is uneven (even if it has anti-scalp wheels--useless on a 320lb. deck moving at 3mph)

and it weighs a ton.

But it cuts mowing time almost in half compared to the 48, and the shell will never twist or flex.

I think some of the issues with this deck come from slamming it into fixed objects,

damaging the mount or frame.  Don't use on a small yard, don't hit a tree, don't hit the house!

snowmoboyle

damaging the mount or frame.  Don't use on a small yard, don't hit a tree, don't hit the house!

Well said.... well said..... How many times I have said "awww I can get around that"  or " just a little bump it'll be fine"

Just this fall I bent the 42" deck on the 312 a little by mowing off the neighbors garden, trying to drive over a railroad tie that bordered it - oops!  Little tweak it was like new again!

320lbs - whoooof.   I don't have much to mow here, so I'm sure I"ll stick to a 48 but 60 would just be fun.  Maybe I"ll have to get some mowing jobs.... hmmmm

dennist

Yes the 60" is very heavy, but in my opinion it has the best cut and the Onan has no problem powering it. It totally surprised me with my lawn it actually looks like it is striped.