vinnyfish1

Hydro tranny VS hi/lo range

vinnyfish1

So what are the thoughts on a Hydro tranny VS a HI/LO ..I have a 1984 C145 auto

slammer302

There lots of old threads on this subject if you do a search

Save Old Iron

It might be helpful if we knew specifically what you wanted to know.

Your question is too open ended.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Especially since the "xi" line has a "hi - lo" hydro!

Rob

cleat

My Ford LGT165 has a hydro 2 speed rear end as well. I wish the 520's had that.

smoreau

It all depends on what you like. I grew up on a 875 and a hydro is the only way to go. But the 4 and 8 speeds have there advantages also. Some guys prefer them over the hydro. Hi lo is most likely in hi range 95% of the time, but is always nice to have that lo range when you need it. In all reality they are both great transmissions, you just need to find the one that fits you the best.

rick

For lawn mowing duties, I prefer the hydro since you can keep the engine RPMs up and control  the ground speed  closer to conditions, ie: rough ground, tall grass. For plowing and ploughing I prefer an 8 speed. Just my 2 cents!

vinnyfish1

Sorry about being so vague.. I think Rick answered my question

Tim

I prefer the hydro for everything except tilling

Mowing, snow plowing, snow blowing is faster with a hydro. Changing direction is much faster.

I find it hard to have ground speed control going real slow with the hydro. That is why tilling is better with the 8 speed.

plus the hydro lift is awesome. When plowing and blowing.

MalMac

Most of us that have both will tell you that each has it's positives and negatives. I myself assign specific duties to each one. It's very much a choice of preference, but there are jobs that you will find out one works way better than the other.

RJR49

for mowing and blowing snow you need the hydro. Even with 6 forward speeds it's never the right gear for the amount of grass and snow facing you. For power it's the 8 speed. Pulling a load up a hill is a case in point. Tilling I suppose, maybe reliability /cost, but I can't think of any other reason to pick an 8 sp. 

Road-Track

Don't forget the 8 speed is better hauling loads downhill  :eek: . I use the 8speed for tilling and hauling and plowing mainly and the Hydro for mowing and snow blowing. All I need now is a tractor for each implement so I don't have to switch :handgestures-thumbupright:

RMCIII

RC - are you towing some 2,000lbs plus? Not sure about that. Yes, a geared tranny, does allow for a steady descent going down, but if the hydro is working properly, it will do nearly the same thing. Course this is my input about my knowledge from a "XI", not sure about the other models. I have heard up's and down's about them.

Rob

Brrly1

Hydro!!! No matter what whether it be tilling, plowing or blowing snow. Loader is also on a hydro. Back blade on a C195. I have a couple as in two manual transmissions 701 and a C160 8 spd which I don't use. The 701 is just that I use it at the plow days but it's just for fun nothing I would use at home except maybe pull the aerator around the front yard. I have been more less spoiled by the hydro's but that's what I use

• Like 1