ronhatch

GT 1800 USING OIL

ronhatch

My son just bought a nice 1984 GT 1800 Workhorse with a B&S engine that appears to be using a lot of oil.  I mowed with it a few times and never noticed any smoke, but the other day my son called and said it was really smoking for him. So, it seems to come and go. When he first bought it I found the air cleaner had puddles of oil sitting in it and the same thing the other day when he called.  I took a dry compression test and there was 100 PSI in each cylinder. Is there some kind of check valve in the breather system that is allowing the oil to be sucked up into the air cleaner? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

gwest_ca

There should be a check valve in the breather somewhere. They allow air out of the crankcase but the check valve should prevent air from going in. That keeps the crankcase under a vacuum when running. Don't know where it is on the Twins but may be something in the manuals

Garry

Adding - make sure there is not too much oil in it. I see the dipstick is to be reinstalled after wiping to check it. If it is just sitting on the fill tube he would be putting too much in it.

• Like 1