SPINJIM

New Kohler Fuel Pumps, Junk

SPINJIM

Has anyone beside me installed the new Kohler fuel pumps with the O-ring fittings instead of the screw-in fittings?   I followed the instructions,  and inserted the O-ring fittings correctly, but when I put on the fuel line, the clips for the O-ring fitting gave way and and the fitting came out.   What a piece of junk compared to the old screw-in fittings.  Anyone have a source for the older style (for an M12)?    The plastic fuel pumps weren't as good as the old metal ones, but they were tolerable.   But these plastic elbow fittings are junk.   Very disappointed in Kohler.

Aldon

Has anyone used the electric fuel pumps that kirk's sells? Wonder if that would make life easier....

SPINJIM

Any info on the electric ones?  source, etc.?

Aldon

Google kirkengines

rmaynard

I installed one of the plastic fuel pumps on my B-100 a couple of years ago. I had no problem with it once I got the hang of the spring clip used to insert the fittings.

skrusins

I bought a generic facet fuel pump from amazon $20. so far no problems.

JC 1965

I have the Facet electric fuel pumps on 3 of my horses. They start better and run great. I won't be going back to the manual pumps anymore. Hope this helps.     :thumbs2:

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Thanks for all of the info on electrics.   I had already ordered an OEM plastic mechanical pump for $39.  But I sure wasn't going to pay Kohler $150 for one that was as bad as the last one I bought.   If this $39 one doesn't last, I'm definitely going electric.   I saw that one of the Facet pumps is recommended specifically for Kohler type engines where the fuel psi won't overpower the needle valve in the carb.

This pump is for a 'barn find' 312-8 that I paid $50 for a year ago.  So far, I've replaced the ignition coil and other wiring, replaced the carburetor, and now the pump.  I repainted the rusty hood, cleaned the mouse nest out of the engine block, sanded and painted the engine tin, changed the fluids, installed a new battery, replaced all fuel lines, cleaned the tank, replaced fuel tank valve and filter, cleaned and painted other parts of the frame, etc. and there is still more to do.   Sometimes a $50 tractor is only worth $50.   But if I didn't have this to keep me busy, I'd probably be out drinking or gambling.

I'll post 'before and after' pictures when I'm done (of the tractor, not the drinking and gambling).

Thanks again,   Jim

• Like 1

squonk

Search electric fuel pump. I have 2 threads here on this going on a C-160. I would search them myself ut I'm slightly incapacitated at the moment.

jetmandan

Search electric fuel pump. I have 2 threads here on this going on a C-160. I would search them myself ut I'm slightly incapacitated at the moment.

Recently bought a nice 74, C-160 that had sat for some time. After obligatory carb, gas tank and fuel pump cleaning she would not pump fuel. Had a used electric pump hanging on the shop wall, wired it right to the coil. Never had a Kohler start so easy as it does with electric pump! Choke cable is shot, so I have to reach under the hood to close it but with electric pump I rarely need to choke it. Will be cleaning up the wiring and plumbing to make electric pump permanent.

Dan

• Like 1

BryanRTenn

Im a Stens dealer & I have installed a couple of their aftermarket pumps on riding mowers with the plastic fittings & they worked fine & seemed like good quality

Forest Road

Great thread. I just ordered an electric pump. Certainly feeling much better about it.

doc724

Glenn, I have been considering one of the Facet pumps for my xi machine.  If you decide to mount yours on one of the xi's, can you let me know where your settled on for the mounting location.  No sense reinventing the wheel.  If you put  it onto the 314, Tell me that location as well, although right now my 314 is behaving nicely with the stock mechanical pump. Thx

squonk

You might want to wire it to a relay. That electric pump draw between 5-8 amps. Using a relay keeps the current out of the key switch and ign circuit.