Lagersolut

Crankshaft clean up ( rod journal )

Lagersolut

I'm tearing down an M10 getting it ready for a rebuild - looking for some tips on cleaning the journal, I read a while back ( can't find it and don't remember ) how to clean it up without scaring it .

I'm glad I'm tearing into this , thought I heard a knock, lots of play ( up and down ) on the rod at the crank .

Thanks for any tips/suggestions

oldredrider

Muriatic acid works well for cleaning the crank pin. Polish with a 600 grit sandpaper to finish if within specs. If not, a regrind is necessary.

Fordiesel69

do the machinest a favor and  clean the pin with muriatic acid.  this weill save him time.  but it will need reground.

Lagersolut

Thanks for the replies guys -

got the engine tore down everything stripped off  - bearing plate and oil pan loose- head off etc - talked to my machinist,  told me he wanted it just like that- short block style together  - Napa did one for me last year ( K241 )-  this year I found a guy closer in Thomasville PA - Leedy Automotive and machine shop .

He said he's been doing these for 40 years - talked me out of the aftermarket rebuilds/piston/ rod kits  - said the OEM  pistons/rods  are a lot more accurate - quoted me 525 for the parts - gasket kit -valves and machine shop work.

One thing I learned ( the hard way )  on this thing , Kohler changed the starter set up - starter bolts directly to the bearing plate and is held together by these bolts

Got the starter of and the entire back , brushes and springs came apart .....going to be fun getting back together .

slammer302

Makes it easy to inspect the starter..Lol

Fordiesel69

Aftermarket parts are still ok, if you machine around them.  That is aquire the parts, and machine after.  Not the other way.