Jake Kuhn

59 RJ Restore

Racinbob

Also Jake, do as Geno mentioned and make sure the bearings are seated properly and not rubbing on the case side. Bolted tight, do the axles move freely when you just spin one axle causing the other to spin in the opposite direction? Holding both axles and spinning them in the same direction is fairly hard because you will be fighting the gear reduction.

stevasaurus

Jake the trans looks like it was put together right.  Along with what Bob and Geno said...you should have one of the NICE 412-35 bearings with that thrust washer under it in the hole where the large part of the mushroom gear goes.  Probably not critical, because you won't be working that horse.

What is critical, those bearings need to be flush with the top of the hole they sit in...but not seated so deep that you can't turn the seated bearing with your finger.  Also, make sure that all the plate bolts are only 1/2" long.  The bottom, back bolt on the brake shaft side should be 3/4" if you have that small piece of steel there that holds the spring from the brake band....1/2" if you don't.  Maybe put the trans together with out the differential and bolt the side plates on.  If it turns freely then, the problem is with the differential.  RacinBob ended up honing a touch more on the outer axle bushings to make his work.  He took his apart a million times as we tried to find what was going on with his.

One other thing...the S8K bearings should measure 5/16" in height and the NICE 412-35 bearings should be 3/8"...if you have more then that...there is your problem.  Torque bolts 12 to 15 inch LBS.  :)

Jake Kuhn

Thanks all for the input....I am going to check and see if it the bearings are sitting flush, then I think i will try to bolt it together without the diff.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I did that too Jake :) . Just about every other combination too. I confirmed that it was the diff/axle assembly by bolting it together with only that assembly installed. it bound up. I made sure it wasn't the differential bushings rubbing on the case sides and then, as Steve said, I honed the axle bushings a bit more and I was off and running.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

I looked, and the sideplate bolts are 3/4" so maybe they are hitting on a gear making it not turn over. Also, found a couple of the bearings were sticking up just a little bit, but not much. I don't think it is in the axle bushings as they are kind of worn around there. Will probably try another assemble tonight with shorter bolts....and no silicone. lol

Edited by Jake Kuhn
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

Jake, these can be touchy for sure...when someone can add one extra gasket 1/32" and be good to go...or just loosen a couple of bolts...you know it does not take too much.

Are those the side plate bolts that came with the trans??  I found the 1/2" bolts a little harder to find, but you need those.  I think I found them at either TSC or ACE.  The 3/4" bolts will hit the large part of the mushroom gear.  :)

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Steve, these were not the original bolts. The bolts it had in it were about 6 different sizes, and none looked  alike. I will run to tsc tonight and pick up some of the 1/2" bolts...they should have them.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Got some shorter bolts today, and got the trans together today...seems to work fine by hand.  :woohoo:

post-4240-0-38151700-1417216262_thumb.jp

• Like 3

dclarke

Lookin good, Jake... Good to know about the short bolts, I've got one to put together.

• Like 2

Geno

Looks nice Jake.  Thanks for the info on the bolts Steve, I'm gonna try to redo my RJ this Winter and that info will come in handy.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jake, coming along sweet. Step by step.

Glenn

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That was way too easy Jake.  :)   That trans looks real nice.  Was this your 1st 3 piece transmission??  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

That was way too easy Jake.  :)   That trans looks real nice.  Was this your 1st 3 piece transmission??  :eusa-think:

Thanks all, and yes, this was the first 3 piece trans i have redone. They are not much fun compared to a 2 piece...lol I have parts to do a 5010, for a 400 I'm going to restore soon....may start on that trans in a month or so.

Also, dropped off the engine to get bored today...Will pick it up next weekend and then I can put that together, and maybe shoot some red paint on this stuff and my 57.

• Like 2

Ken B

As always Jake, sa-weet!

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Well, after reading formariz's trans thread today, looks like I made another mistake on the trans... :banghead: Looks like I used a r12 instead of a 412-35 where it should of been. I also noticed it turns over fine, but doesn't seem as easy as it should, probably because if I had used the 412-35 bearing it would of gave it a little more slack. Looks like it will be getting ripped apart again and its gonna be really hard to get that silicone off after its been cured for a week. :no: Glad I caught this before I painted it though, that would of been really bad.

Will update the thread when I tear into it.

Edited by Jake Kuhn
  • Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Ripped it back apart last night, changed the bearings and it doesn't really turn any easier, then did a test fit. It doesn't turn any easier but does feel smoother. Before I silicone it, I just want to check and see if you guys think I put the bearings in the right place this time? Also, am planning to pick up the engine tomorrow from the machine shop, so that may become this weekends project putting it back together. Thanks, Jake

post-4240-0-56524700-1417781172_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-65460200-1417781178_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-13666100-1417781184_thumb.jp

Edited by Jake Kuhn

stevebo

Jake,

Looks right to me but then again I had the same issue you are having after rebuilding a suburban tranny. It is still unresolved...

Racinbob

Yup, that looks right to me as well. But now I'm going to scream!! That's the third strike and now my finished 5010 is coming back apart. I'll leave the details for my Suburban thread. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

• Like 1

ol550

One thing to consider on your 5010 rebuilds is the differential carrier is riding on bushings and not bearings. 

While the carrier spins freely when test fitting what needs to be considered is after years of rough riding is

the possibility of the axle housings not being square to the side plates. That folks is my :twocents-mytwocents:.   

• Like 4

Racinbob

I agree ol550. The same goes for the axle bushings. I had the binding problem that was driving me nuts. I isolated it to the differential/axle assembly and confirmed that it wasn't the sides squeezing it. All four bronze bushings were new as well as having brand new axles so the tolerances were as close as they ever would be. Sliding the assemble on each side plate separately and they were free as could be. But not when I snugged up both covers. I had to emery the axle bushing a fuzz more and all was good.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Jake, your bearings are in the correct places.  :)  As for the tightness, unless it is overly tight, I probably would not worry about it...it will break in.  Question is...is it tight from being new, or is it tight because something is not right??  :eusa-think:

Stevbo, I think we talked about this a couple of years ago...about your trans.  I did not know why back then, but I have a sneaking suspicion you might have 1 or more of those bearings that measure 7/16" in height in your trans.

Jake Kuhn

Picked the engine back up from the shop. It ended up needing the crank turned as well. Cost me a little more than I was hoping to spend on it, but it will be a really good motor now. Also, ended up finding another NOS carburetor for it. I also had a set of crank bearings I bought at PA I didn't plan on using on this engine, but after all that has been done to it I figured it deserved them. Everything is ready to go together now, hope I can put it together tomorrow if I have time.

post-4240-0-13588900-1417903286_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-11929200-1417903292_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-24942900-1417903295_thumb.jp

Got this head out a PA too, it is NOS

post-4240-0-64187700-1417903298_thumb.jp

Also about a week ago I recieved a package from a member here, I can't thank them enough!

post-4240-0-22129500-1417903289_thumb.jp

Edited by Jake Kuhn
  • Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jake,,,sweet sweer sweet. One day I would like to try doing one of those ol timers myself.

Wait a minute,,,,I am older. Lol

Glenn

• Like 3

Jake Kuhn

Thanks Glenn! They are fun tractors to restore, not too many parts on them.

• Like 1

Racinbob

That's looking great Jake. Did you get that crank journal turned down .010"? I'm trying to get that done to mine but everybody I've found prices it like it a V8 crankshaft. I might have a contact that can help me out and I hope to check them out this coming week. I'd be willing to cover the shipping costs if I could find somebody with a price inside of this solar system.