Dr.Clank

how to remove lift tube from hydro model?

Dr.Clank

I've got a 417-A with the rear lift kit installed and I want to move the lift kit to a different tractor. I've got the rockshaft off but the cable has me stumped. Since the installation instructions for my tiller say, "insert the lift cable into the tube from the back" I figured I could just pull it out. Nope. I decided to remove the whole lift tube but it's easier said than done. Any tips or tricks to get it off? I've got the lift tube clamp that holds it to the transaxle off but the tube won't come out. It's a tight fit under the hydro and it just won't come out. Do I have to take a wheel off? Take the hydro off? Shouldn't this tube just pull out? 

dennist

You should be able to pull the cable out of the tube from the back, just go back and forth a little and you may have to pull hard as there could be years of build-up inside the tube.

The tube itself will slide out toward the pump fan, but you are probably experiencing the same as the cable with years of build-up grease grass dirt dust etc. and yes it does fit snug, I use a screwdriver and reach between the pump and trans on the fan side and just keep digging stuff out til it finally frees up.

It does help to remove the seat pan and if you need, take the tire off, but I do not.

ericj

i had 1 were the cable wore into the tube. go under the tractor and take a punch and knock the tube out of the frame it can fit real tight sometimes

eric j

Dr.Clank

Okay, thanks guys. It sounds like I'm on the right track. It was dark when I was trying before so I'll wait until the weekend when I can do this in the daylight. 

I tried pulling the cable out the back of the tube but it got stuck. I sprayed about half a can of WD40 into the tube from both sides to clean out gunk and get it unstuck. It's not stuck any more but it still won't come out. I need the tube for the other tractor so it's got to come out anyway. I seem to recall trying to slide it out towards the hydro fan but it was getting stuck on something... the fuel line probably.