Sign in to follow this  
Nick

60" deck video

Nick

After talking about the 60" decks and mule drives thought I would throw some video clips plus some pictures together and load them on youtube. Video clips were shot of a rush job mowing a lot, he had an old set of blades on so anything in the way got mowed over. :D

By the way dont think any other Wheel Horse has the sound of a 520 Onan and 60" deck throwing grass. My video doesnt do the sound justice. A C-195 with the older style 60" deck might be ok, never heard that combination, but the Onan on a WH just sounds good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVWyHR9rE3E

nylyon

That is like a mowing bull dozer going on there. You're right though, nothing like an Onan fully powered up!

zieg72

I was hooked in the 5 minutes mowing with mine. I am so glad I didn't trade my 60" deck for a 48" just so it would fit in my shed. I am re-doing the door openings.

Nick

Im sure you will be happy with the 60" deck when you get the bugs out of it. The other decks do a good job but the 60" can do a very nice job mowing. Also with the tight turning radius 520 combined with the wider deck it can just about ring some tress leaving little to trim.

zieg72

Im sure you will be happy with the 60" deck when you get the bugs out of it. The other decks do a good job but the 60" can do a very nice job mowing. Also with the tight turning radius 520 combined with the wider deck it can just about ring some tress leaving little to trim.

I only have 1.2 acres to mow but 40+ trees to go around. My 269H turning radius is tight with the 52" deck. Looking forward to seeing how it goes through the thick stuff come spring time with the 520H. The only downfall I can see with the 520 compared to my other one is the 269H has a large gas tank. Thanks again.

zieg72

That loader looks real handy. That will be my next search after I find a snow plow to fit.

Nick

Didnt have any video of that loader in action just pictures. They do come in real handy. It is not very hard to install and remove the loader after you do it a few times. That model is a Kwik way built by Kwik way manufacturing. There are others that will fit or with little modification can be made to fit. Keep an eye out they pop up for sale from around $1000 and low as $300 to $500.

http://www.kwmanufacturing.com/

Rollerman

Cool video Nick....thanks for shareing.

So what do you figure that skid loader engine weighed?

Looks like a healthy rack of weights behind the 520 too :D

Curmudgeon

That's what many people fail to realize. The biggest advantage of a larger deck isn't the wide open spaces, though they do help there too, but it's the going around stuff. When I was running my 76" deck, on a full lock turn, there was less than a 12" diameter of grass left not mowed. Going around trees and such was ALWAYS a once around operation, not three times around trying to catch the grass in a different part of the loop. With only 1/3 the time invested in lapping stuff, and 1/3 less time in the open, mowing time was cut in half.

Dale

Craig Arndt

Out of curiousity would a 60" deck from a 520 fit on a 416? I think the 16hp Onan could power it, but would it line up?

Every now and then they show up on ebay.

kj4kicks

Out of curiousity would a 60" deck from a 520 fit on a 416? I think the 16hp Onan could power it, but would it line up?

Every now and then they show up on ebay.

Sorry, not enough room under a 416. That's why the 520's have a swept front axle. However, you could transplant a 520 axle onto your 416, then run a 60" deck.

Rollerman

Guys one of are members here "WH867" bought a 417A with a C195 style 60" deck on it.

It had the smaller tires on 6" rims on front to clear it.

I don't know if the 520 style deck & the C195 style deck are differant size wise.

But might be worth it for someone to get a tape measure & get some measurements? :thumbs:

100_0403Small.jpg

Sparky

Cool video nick. That tractor/deck combo made short work of that grass. Very impressive.

Mike.........

kj4kicks

The ones designed for the 520's were much heavier duty. Here's the one from the '91:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1204671089.jpg

kj4kicks

I can get some measurements, but even with the swept axle, it's a tight fit to R&R it !

kpinnc

I can get some measurements, but even with the swept axle, it's a tight fit to R&R it !

I'll bet that sucker is heavy on a machine with manual lift too! :thumbs:

Kevin

Rollerman

Eldon Thanks for the pic...I've never met a 520 60" deck in person yet.

It does look like the C195 style 60" deck may have a differant shape to it that allows it to fit better.

But it is an option for someone wanting a wide deck for a standard wheel base long frame.

kj4kicks

Yep, It looks like the C195 style would fit any long frame, if you had the smaller front tires.

The 520 60" deck weighs about 300 pounds I think. It's about all 2 people can do just to move it around (unless you have a FEL :thumbs: )

No way I would try it with a manual lift machine!

Nick

You could just leave the deck down all the time on a manual lift tractor. :thumbs: I guess there must be some 520-8 models out there with a 60" deck.

Nick

Rollerman

I wouldn't even think about useing a manual lift on one either.

But there are again other options like electic lift?

The tractor in the photo is equipted that way.

wh500special

I once looked at a 520-8 with the 60" deck (this was back before I knew it was a somewhat rare tractor) and the owner told me he thought the deck lift was broken...

Try as he might, he couldn't budge that sucker off the ground! I was able to lift it a little and we actually got the thing to latch in the "up" position but it was even harder to push the release button to let it back down. He apparently always let it run on the ground.

Presumably you could put helper springs on it, but he didn't have any.

On the bright side, leaving the mower on the ground all the time probably was easier on the tractor frame (lemons...lemonade...you get the idea).

The 60" deck for the C195 was much lighter weight (and duty?) than the one made for the 520. I have heard it was made by Snapper for WH...seems plausible. It is a pretty goofy design if you ever look one over....big blades on the outside with a little "bridge" between the two with a much smaller blade in the middle. Looks sort of like a hybrid of two riding mower decks set side by side and connected with the deck from a pushmower.

Steve

T-Mo

I also was thinking about the helper spring idea. But, I still don't know if I would put a 60 inch deck on a tractor that's not designed to fit it. But, it sounds like it could be done, I guess.

That C195 60" deck does look odd to me. It seems to me to be hanging very far to the right side (the discharged side) than it should be. :thumbs:

Craig Arndt

:thumbs: That 60" deck is big. I'd be better off someday looking for a 520 to restore. I like my 416 too much now to give it up, especially after just restoring it this past summer. My 42" RD deck weighs a ton, I can only imagine what that 60" is like.

That definitely would need hydraulics. I think I'll keep my eyes out for a 520h that needs a restoration, I enjoy tearing these WH's down and getting them back to like new condition.