cruisnblue48

Building a 1961 hot rod tractor

Coadster32

I think you can stretch it pretty darn far. Hot-rodding knows no boundaries!!  In all reality, it's a little garden tractor with not much weight on it, (besides your butt and a motor). Angle iron is very stout. If you keep the same basic design, you should be able to stretch it pretty darn far. If you look at some of the other build threads, you'll see this to be true. (Stig and Bud to name a couple)  

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A GT-1800 THAT I AM STRETCHING 17 INCHES RIGHT NOW. SO GO FOR IT. IT IS JUST ANGLE IRON AND THE STEERING SHAFT.    RUSS

• Like 1

953 nut

Thanks for the response, Brian. I'd like to get up to maybe 10-14 hp in there... haven't found the engine I want yet.  I wouldn't do this to a perfectly "good" 1961 Wheel Horse, of course. This particular tractor was left in the woods for dead and she was in really, really poor condition when I saved her. There was so much to "fix" with what I started with. It took me two years after I bought it to decide that I would rather rebuild it into something different "one of a kind" than your typical Suburban. Besides, after I get done with it, no one will ever dare to want to restore it to "original" condition, ha! :banana-wrench:

:twocents-02cents:     Considering the straight forward basic construction of a Suburban frame and your desire for a one-of-a-kind :wh: I would suggest building your own frame with altered front axle and trans axle mounting points to get the stance and length you want. Another alteration that will help with the engine placement would be to mount the steering shaft nearly vertical using a Ross or other box and a drag link; side benefit is it will look Sooooooooooooooooooooo  Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooool !

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Coadster32

I HAVE A GT-1800 THAT I AM STRETCHING 17 INCHES RIGHT NOW. SO GO FOR IT. IT IS JUST ANGLE IRON AND THE STEERING SHAFT.    RUSS

You never cease to amaze me Russ!!:notworthy:

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

Candy red would look cool, one day that's how I want to build one and with pearl white rims.... To now with my new exhaust it has a muffler but I want to put a chrome straight pipe on it. What are you doing for rear rims?

I just bought this set of 14" Cragar wheels off of the local C-list dirt cheap. They have a 4" backspace. So, I am planning on using these wheels with 2" wide adapters to set the wheels out some and still be able to use the tool box and fenders. 

00D0D_6htMJYVZEc1_600x450.thumb.jpg.ae7e

cruisnblue48

I think I'll see if I can burn the rubber off these tires before I invest in a pair of $400 slicks. :eusa-think:

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:  Sounds like $400 worth of fun to me. 

857 horse

I have streched my frame....a 401,,,,for the life of me.....i cant get pics on red square to save my life.....However....Stevasorus has posted my tractor before....
mine is streched about 5 inches....i mated an 8 speed......everything is nut and bolted togeather,,,,it could always go back to the original 3 piece 3 speed...
i made a pretty neat frame extension.....if he sees this and can find the pics....maybe he will post a few....

CasualObserver

I have streched my frame....a 401,,,,for the life of me.....i cant get pics on red square to save my life.....However....Stevasorus has posted my tractor before....
mine is streched about 5 inches....i mated an 8 speed......everything is nut and bolted togeather,,,,it could always go back to the original 3 piece 3 speed...
i made a pretty neat frame extension.....if he sees this and can find the pics....maybe he will post a few....

I found it for you....
20140626_185236_zps949c10ff.jpg

• Like 6

857 horse

Jason..Thanks !!!!!!!  yep.....2 1/2 briggs......cast iron 7 inch 2 piece wheels from an old rotor tiller.......8 speed....just 1 inch axles....
this was a real mess when i found it lying near the Titantic.....
We could look on this as a bad molesting job......

But,,,,,,i figured all this out.....Before i ever knew Red Square existed..!!!   the only thing i found on E-Bay was the Hood...Thanks Dave Mitton,,
and it was in a box.....never mounted,,,,im painting the engine this winter....although i found a great koler last year at the Big Show...even have the stock exhausr gaurd..                                          Wow,,,National Exposure........

• Like 5

AMC RULES
:scratchead: Almost...like the stretched version better than factory original.   :greetings-clapyellow:
  • Like 1

953 nut

I found it for you....
20140626_185236_zps949c10ff.jpg

Glad CO was able to post it for you, Steve had posted a partial shot of it before and I had wanted to see it full length; love it.

• Like 2