doc724

Mower Deck Belt Guards-on or off?

doc724

I see pix of many WH tractors, mostly on CL but some here in RS and the belt guards on the mower deck have all been removed on many of them.  Someone enlighten me, why is this?  In the 35 years I have owned WH tractors, I have never done this and never saw any need or benefit to do it.

slammer302

I know on 36" rd decks the guard is a pain to get off if the belt needs changed and it holds grass inside it which holds moisture and causes rust I have a deck that looks perfect besides were the belt guard was on it

pacer

Ive got three 48" decks and I gave up keeping the guard on long ago -- I have a gazillion trees in my yard and its amazing how a pencil sized limb/stick can get in there and cause havoc, throw the belt, jam the tensioner, rub against the belt, etc. With the guard off I can usually just shut down and pick the stick out and go on my way, instead of heading back to the shop and remove the guard - which is a bit of a pain with the deck attached.

• Like 2

KyBlue

I have the gaurds off my 42" deck cause well I was just too lazy to bolt them back on after the belt change. Wasn't sure of the condition of the deck so until I mowed with it a few times I wanted to leave them off and they just haven't made it back on yet.

Molon_Labe

Ive got three 48" decks and I gave up keeping the guard on long ago -- I have a gazillion trees in my yard and its amazing how a pencil sized limb/stick can get in there and cause havoc, throw the belt, jam the tensioner, rub against the belt, etc. With the guard off I can usually just shut down and pick the stick out and go on my way, instead of heading back to the shop and remove the guard - which is a bit of a pain with the deck attached.

I've got to agree with pacer, :text-+1: . These guards, especially the ones with closed ends are traps for grass clippings, twigs and moisture. Nader's Raiders would have a fit if they saw mine but they don't have to maintain these things, I do.

Edited by M_Bailey

can whlvr

they do give some support to the shell,helps make them ridgid,but are a pain in the but

Mr.phil

On my 42" deck I removed the belt guards early on they trapped clippings and moisture causing original unsealed pulleys to rust and fail.

dcrage

There are NO belt guards on the 37" SD deck -- It uses a single belt from the PTO