Indy Stables

Tapping Into A Hydro Pump/Trans

Indy Stables

Hey Folks,  

I was in a debilitating accident in 2006 which badly damaged my right heel & ankle.  I have several Wheel Horses (and a couple Cub's) which I like because of having predominantly left foot operated clutches/brakes.  My condition is also accompanied by lifelong type-1 diabetes (Insulin dependent).  That said,  with age, it is getting harder for me to even get on my tractors, but more-so, lifting attachments manually.  I own an early '68 Charger 12 which is a hydro but only in the drive portion.  I have browsed several manuals here on Red Square, looking for one that shows how I may be able to "Tap" into the hydraulic system to fab or ad a single "dual acting" cylinder for use as a lift (Mainly for my snow blade). 

Can anyone tell me if this can be done, provide diagrams &/or parts lists for at least getting a supply & return from the Sundstrand hydro unit?  I am aware there may be internal parts which must be changed or added to the hydro unit.  I would just like a definitive answer &/or set of instructions on if & how this may be done...short of buying another tractor.  I have accumulated many hydro cylinders & parts over the years from different companies I have worked for. (No I didn't steal anything...there were always extra parts about, & many take-off's etc...and I am a "parts hoarder", you can ask "BOTH" my ex-wives...lol)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!

Kind Regards

Bill Baker

Indianapolis, IN

daveoman1966

pm sent....

Trouty56

Hey Folks,  

I was in a debilitating accident in 2006 which badly damaged my right heel & ankle.  I have several Wheel Horses (and a couple Cub's) which I like because of having predominantly left foot operated clutches/brakes.  My condition is also accompanied by lifelong type-1 diabetes (Insulin dependent).  That said,  with age, it is getting harder for me to even get on my tractors, but more-so, lifting attachments manually.  I own an early '68 Charger 12 which is a hydro but only in the drive portion.  I have browsed several manuals here on Red Square, looking for one that shows how I may be able to "Tap" into the hydraulic system to fab or ad a single "dual acting" cylinder for use as a lift (Mainly for my snow blade). 

Can anyone tell me if this can be done, provide diagrams &/or parts lists for at least getting a supply & return from the Sundstrand hydro unit?  I am aware there may be internal parts which must be changed or added to the hydro unit.  I would just like a definitive answer &/or set of instructions on if & how this may be done...short of buying another tractor.  I have accumulated many hydro cylinders & parts over the years from different companies I have worked for. (No I didn't steal anything...there were always extra parts about, & many take-off's etc...and I am a "parts hoarder", you can ask "BOTH" my ex-wives...lol)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!

Kind Regards

Bill Baker

Indianapolis, IN

You could download this manual for an Electra....then scroll to page 15 and 16 on the pdf viewer....there you will find an exploded view of the hydraulic lift parts needed (parts 4-17 pertain to the electric pto not needed)......there is a cone and spring that need installed in the hydraulic pump.  The pump already has the needed inlet and outlet for the valve and cylinder.....

Daveoman probably has the parts you need....placement of the cone and spring you may need guidance with as to where it goes....

post-1933-133643602703_thumb.jpg
Edited by Trouty56

wallfish

You could also go with a separate hydraulic pump connected to the engine

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329712_200329712 (price has gone up on this since I bought one, used to be $100)

or a much cheaper 12v winch with power in and out but it's much slower.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-ATV-UTV-Trailer-Utility-Winch-2000lb-Boat-Snow-Mobile-Recovery-12-Volt-NEW-/400476259479?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3e3ec497&vxp=mtr

A completely separate system can be moved from tractor to tractor if necessary.

Indy Stables

Hey folks,   I'm NOT ignoring anyone so please be patient...  My Dad had a heart attack yesterday (at least we think so).  He is doing fine, and had a "stint" put in.  Trying to start a chainsaw that had sat for 2 years...yea.  I came home to shower and change and heading back to the hospital.  I appreciate all the help, and am most interested in checking out all ideas, I just need a short intermission.  Thanks to all at RED SQUARE!!!  You are a great community, and have helped me a bunch already. 

Be back with you in a day or two.

Kindest Regards

Bill.

P.S.  To Bob T... I am interested in your approach.  If possible, send me a parts sale total (if you have everything) to powerpak392@sbcglobal.net  I'll get back soon.  I can fab my own hoses BTW unless they have O.E.M. specific fittings.

wake49

Indy Stables, I hope everything is ok with your dad. You and your family are in my thoughts.