Kpro

PTO always engaged

Kpro

I just got a 1987 310-8 and the pto is always engaged. I am not familiar with the operation of this type of pto, my last tractor had an electric one. I also appear to have gas in my oil.

wallfish

:WRS:

The PTO engages and disengages using the lever on the right side of the tractor that connects with a rod. If it stays engaged when the lever is pulled back then it could be something frozen by rust, like the bearings. Could also be way out of adjustment or something the previous owner messed with. It's fairly simple to remove the bell with the pulleys for a closer inspection. Is it spinning all the time with an attachment like a mower deck and a belt connected? It could spin all the time if no belt is connected and/or if the little brake shoe is missing or not adjusted correctly.

Drain the oil right away and do not run the engine with fuel in the oil. More common to see that in vertical shaft engines when the float in the carb is leaking. Horizontals usually will leak it out the front of the carb but it is possible if the engine is tilted in the right direction to get some in your oil. I would suggest removing the carb and give it a good cleaning and rebuild with new float needle valve. Change the oil and keep a very close eye on it to see if fuel gets in it again.

If you can post some pics of the PTO side of the tractor, we can see if you are missing anything or if there is an obvious issue.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Another culprit to look for is a leaking fuel pump. If the diaphragm gets a small hole in it, it can still pump gas (weakly), but gas can get through the hole and end up in the crankcase.

• Like 2

Kpro

Thank you for the responses.

I goofed around with the pto and there is not an issue with that, it was just spinning because there was nothing hooked to it. As far as gas in the oil that is a bigger issue. I drained and refilled the oil, I also cleaned the spark plug. Tractor fired right up and smoked like crazy for a few minutes but then the smoke went away. I shut it down and checked the oil and it looked and smelled good. After that, I drove it around for about 15 minutes and re checked the oil, it has gas in it again. I guess I will get a new fuel pump and go from there.

Edited by Kpro

Kpro

Any other ideas?

Geno

:WRS:     Like Bob said, the fuel in oil issue is usually the fuel pump.   The pto should have a small brake on it to keep it from spinning when not in use also.  It will be a small piece about an inch wide at the top of the PTO bell.  It is also adjustable. 

Trouty56

A spiinning pto will not hurt a thing....those little brake jiggers are usually worn to the rivets anyway....I take them off and throw them..... :)

Kohler fuel pump could be had at a lot of places.....maybe check back here and ask before you install it.....be sure the arm is on the correct side of the cam.....guys like Maynard are good with these engines....even though I have been fooling with these tractors for a few years I always search up as much as I can find about the topic here first and ask before I do anything I am unsure about.

Kpro

I have ordered the fuel pump. On the surface it looks to be a pretty straight forward replacement.

Kpro

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the help. I have replaced the fuel pump and after running it for a half hour or so the oil smells like pure rotella.

• Like 2

Geno

Glad you got her fixed, now you can put her to work!   :text-woo:

• Like 1

KyBlue

Glad it was a simple fix and ya got it taken care of.