Sean Keys

1960 Wheel Horse Suburban Tech/Lauson H55A-1170 HELP

Sean Keys

Hello, I am new to red square and new to the tractor in question, a 1960 suburban 550. The tractor is in very bad shape. Both the engine and rear end were locked up. The engine is now free but has its fair share of problems.

1. The cooling shroud has a huge ''smash'' and the recoil looks to be completely shot.

2. The electric starter is frozen solid and looks to be unsalvageable.

3. The other issue is the spark. It had spark from the beginning but it wasn't too great. I took the flywheel off and cleaned the magnets, posts, as well as the points. Now it has good spark but all it does is spark. It is a continuous spark as you turn the flywheel. I lost the timing. Any ideas on what the issue is?

Any help with finding parts or advise is greatly appreciated. I will try to upload photos but no guarantees. 

Sean Keys

Here are the photos.

post-13855-0-14749600-1411343125_thumb.j

post-13855-0-35927100-1411343170_thumb.j

Sean Keys

This has me baffled. It cant be the condenser, can it?? It has the wico ignition, points look to be making good contact. This is rather baffling to me.

oldredrider

If it is sparking during a complete revolution, your points are not closed. Dress the points and reset them @ .020. Check to make sure the points cam block is riding on the cam through a full revolution.

Sean Keys

I already looked at the points. They appear to be making good contact which is what baffles me. I know the cam block is not riding the cam to whole time. If I move it so that it is that's is adjusting the timing isn't it?

oldredrider

Timing is adjusted by turning the points plate. There are 2 bolts 180° apart that hold it into position.

Set point gap 1st then set timing.

slammer302

I have all the engine parts you are needing send me a pm