JustHorsingAround

No fire to plug

JustHorsingAround

I have a Tecumseh H70 that's not getting a spark to the plug. I used a test light and checked everything. Everything gets a good bright light except the plug wire which gets a very dim light. The other wires coming from the coil get a bright light, only the plug wire is dim. Would this be a bad coil?

km3h

You should download the Demystification Guide from TORO. Also check the coil with a volt ohm meter.

km3h

This may not be your engine, but it will tell you step by step how to check the coil.

post-2564-0-18073600-1411338088_thumb.pn

km3h

Did this problem get fixed?

JustHorsingAround

No not yet I bought a new ignition coil points and condenser just waiting for them to get here should be by the end of the week I'll keep everyone updated

JustHorsingAround

Got the parts the other day coil, points, condenser, spark plug and new carburetor. Installed everything gaped points to .020 and still no spark not even a jolt when I touch it. If I understand correctly I cannot gap the flywheel with the coil since it is ''fixed''. If anyone else has any options please let me know.

JustHorsingAround

Sorry I forgot to add I also put in a new flywheel key.

Geno

Do you have power going to the + side of the coil?

JustHorsingAround

The only power I have goes from the start push button to the starter and from the start push button to the battery the coil is underneath the flywheel.

Geno

Sorry, I missed that it was a Tecky.   :eusa-doh:

km3h

So you bought all these parts instead of testing what you already have and now you still haven't solved the problem. Sorry about this but when will folks learn to test things before running off to the parts store and blowing a lot of unnecessary money. It's not brain surgery, just simple one step at a time testing.

km3h

I have tried to find some info on your engine but can't find a wiring diagram. I think there is a ground wire on your coil. Disconnect it and see if it solves the problem. If it does, something is shorting everything out. Also check the magnets on your flywheel. They might have lost their power.

Without the diagram I am working in the dark, but I believe your engine can run on it's own. Try disconnection the ignition switch and run a jumper to the starter. See if it will start. When you turn the switch off, it shorts the circuit to ground. In your case, The switch may be holding it to ground.

I will keep looking for some more information and try to find a schematic. What tractor is this engine on?  

JustHorsingAround

I would have bought these parts whether or not they were bad. Just thought you guys would have some good input guess not.

km3h

Oh we will do our best to help you if you have patience and listen. I just thought of something else. It just dawned on me that you said you have a start push button. Is this standard or did you or someone else add it? If you tell us what the model of the tractor is we can look for the right manuals. We are grouping in the dark here.