Hubbard414

Engine shuts down

Hubbard414

Hello, I picked up a 86 308-8 a few months ago and haven't used it until today. When I went to start mowing the engine shut down. It runs fine but as soon as I start to engage the mower the engine slows then stops. Any help would be great thanks!

KyBlue

Full throttle? Nothing binding? No siezed bearings?

You'll have to get into the motor and check it over... Make sure spark is strong with good compression.

My 418a when I got it, would run like a champ till I mowed. Then would bog down and stall from grass. Had a dead cylinder.

Hope you get it figured out...

ERBSHORSE62

Did you check the switch inside the hood next to handle for putting the mower in gear?

Sometimes this switch gets a little loose and kils the Engine when I put it down to engage the mower on my 312A.  If it kills the engine before you actually put the Tractor in it's forward motion, this could be the problem

KyBlue

It wouldn't slow and then stop... Kill switch would just shut it down... Or at least using my redneck logic...

Hubbard414

It worked fine a few months ago when I bought it, I even mowed with it just to test it. I'll double check the tomorrow to make sure it's not the switch or anything rubbing. I'm hoping it's just one of those. Thanks

Sparky

Could be the seat switch....you engage the PTO and the tractor shuts down as if no one was in the seat :scratchead:  .

Mike............

Hubbard414

I did check the seat switch come to find out there's not one. It looks like there use to be one but it was removed

Irv

Make sure the two wires to the seat switch are connected together well.

Hubbard414

Thanks guys for the help, it ended up just being the wires for the seat switch. They were taped together so I took them apart and now it works fine. Not sure how that is but it works so I'll go with it

gwest_ca

You have magneto ignition which is self-powered.

The ignition wire simply grounds the ignition to shut it off. So does the seat switch when the pto is ON and no operator in the seat - seat switch closed with no operator in seat.

Operator in seat switch opens and allows ignition to operate.

Garry