jojorta

Attaching twin bagger catcher

jojorta

Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum and am amazed at the level of support that is given!

I have just purchased a second hand 246-H mower and am very happy with it. The guy also had a twin bagger catcher for it but he has never had it on the mower.

I've had a quick look at connecting it up and all looks pretty straight forward except the drive belt. He has lost the original belt so I don't know what length and cross section to purchase. The other thing is that all the catcher setup seems quite quick and easy to remove..... except the belt. From what I can see the belt must run off a second pulley on the RHS spindle. The pulley is below the drive belt for that spindle so it looks as though you have to remove the guard, remove the cutter drive belt, place the blower belt on, then re-install the drive belt and covers. Is that right? Does anyone have a manual for this attachment?

Thanks in advance,

Terry

AMC RULES

Humm...happen to know the year of your tractor, model # of your bagger? 

In the manuals section, found in the header at the top of this page...

you'll find our :wh: PDF manuals to down load...all of the baggers start here...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/category/18-mower-decks-reel/?sort_order=ASC&sort_key=file_name&num=10&filter_key=all&st=600

:WRS:

gwest_ca

This one is listed for the 246-H other than the twin bagger that does not use a blower

Then model number 79203 would work with 78-8600 adapter on some. This one was sold 1994-2004. If you can find this model number on it post the serial number and will get the manuals in the library.

Garry

• Like 1

jojorta

It's quite late here in Australia at the moment so I'll check the details on year/model tomorrow. I did have a look at the bagger manuals and found one that looks like what I have. Seems that they have been running the belt on the wrong pulley at the moment. I'm still not sure how I am going to work out the length of belt required, but I really didn't want to buy original as price of any parts in Australia are ridiculous, especially when I can get a good quality belt from another supplier for 1/4 of the price. (Estimate only)

Thanks for your speedy reply. Once I get this sorted out, I'll tackle the next problem which appears to be the alternator is not charging the battery.

gwest_ca

Added 5 manuals for the model 79203. Go into the manuals and search using that number and they should come up.

Garry

• Like 1

Geno

Welcome jojorta!  :WRS:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

We should be able to give you the belt dimensions if you give us the original Toro belt number.

Garry

• Like 1

jojorta

OK, so this is what I have found.

Mower model 72081 Serial 3900423

Cutter Deck Model 78230 Serial 3901627

Catcher Model 79203 Serial 5900771

Engine Model 303777 Type 0412-01  6718

Code 92110411

I have downloaded some of the manuals that you suggested and some that I didn't need. Now I can't download anymore for the day. I didn't know there was a limit so I was just downloading everything hoping I would stumble on the right ones.

It appears that the engine is not charging the battery and the rectifier looks as though is is toasted. Whats the best way to check this?

Thanks again guys for all the support.

Cheers

jojorta

Looks like the part number for the belt is 79-7480

gwest_ca

Looks like the part number for the belt is 79-7480

This belt is an HA 70.75 inches which is 1/2" x 70-3/4". You will likely have to settle for a 1/2" x 71". If this application has the belt bending backwards over a flat idler you should use a belt designed for that. Here in North America one common supplier is Gates and their green colored belt meets this spec.

Tractor and mower deck are 1993 models. The vacuum collector is a 1995 and we do not have the 1995 operator manual. 

There is a 1997 service bulletin on the mower deck

and another in 1993

so I would try to use the 1998-2000 vacuum operator manual which likely includes the changes.

Can't comment yet on the charging system. Need to see what you have. We have the OM and IPL for this engine but they don't include repairs.

Garry

gwest_ca

Looks like it could have one of two possible charging systems

2-wire regulator for a 9 amp system uses regulator 691188

3-wire regulator for a 16 amp system uses regulator 691185

This chart shows what the stator AC output should be

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4165-engine-bs-alternator-id-chartpdf/

Click on the screen shot of the first page and you can likely read it without downloading the full 3 pages.

Garry

jojorta

OK, twin bagger attached and tested! Love it. Thanks for all the help on that.

The stator has 2 Black wires coming out of it into a yellow plug. There are 2 yellow wires coming from that plug to the regulator. One red wire coming out of the regulator.

Tested the A/C voltage out of the stator and got 20V A/C  Tested the D/C output of the regulator and could only get maximum of 10V. My guess is that the regulator is faulty, does that sound right?

Cheers,

Terry

gwest_ca

Sounds correct to me if the body of the regulator was grounded when measuring the DC voltage.

I do not know for sure but suspect B&S is like Kohler - the AC leads are disconnected from the regulator when doing the AC test.

Garry

jojorta

Yep, had the regulator grounded. Also measured the AC with the leads disconnected. Looking at the regulator it has a crack in the front of the plastic part and appears as if some water may have gotten inside. I have ordered another regulator so hopefully that fixes the problem. If it doesn't at least I can cross that off the list.

Thanks again.

Terry