dasto

Need help with fuel pump issue

dasto

No spring on it. It floats freely on top of the float tab. Best to completely remove the float and valve to clean it. When assembled, and holding the carburetor in a normal mounting position, you should be able to raise the float up, and then let it hang, and the little brass needle should drop immediately with it. If it hangs up at all, get a carburetor kit and replace it.

I will remove it now and check operation. However, what you describe is how it was last night, very free and hanging down while holding level.

dasto

I will remove it now and check operation. However, what you describe is how it was last night, very free and hanging down while holding level.

I don't know what happened. I just started to loosen the carb bowl bolt to check the position of the float and fuel immediately started leaking out of the bowl. This is the first time the bowl has had fuel in it over the past two days! So I stopped removing the bolt and tightened it back, cranked the engine and it started! The only thing I can think of is that spraying the carb cleaner last night on the carb has loosened something up.

km3h

I'm sticking with the cam shaft being worn. The pump should throw fuel half way across the room when the line is disconnected from the carburetor. If you have a spare fuel tank from another tractor, hook it to your carburetor and gravity feed fuel to it by holding it above the carburetor. I bet it will start and run. This will tell you two things. One the carburetor is good and two the cam is worn. If it does not run, you know your carburetor is clogged but you still may need a cam.

• Like 1

Geno

Fuel should shoot out of the line half way across the room as Nick mentioned.  As I mentioned before, one thing is for sure, there is a pump issue or internal issue. 

You may want to dig a little deeper while we are all here, or you will more than likely end up here again once the prime is lost or something gets a little worse.  :eusa-doh: