Sign in to follow this  
refracman

Collecting Wheel horses

buckrancher

my prefered wh are the eary 60's round noise tractor's 7hp I guess that's

because i started out on a 701 mowing my dad's lawn when I was young but I have a c-series and some maroon stripes :omg:

I have traveled as far as 400 miles one way to pick up a tractor and more than

once payed to much for one but I guess if I'am happy with the purchase

it really dosn't matter :banghead:

:horseplay: :horseplay:

:USA:

Brrly1

Well Steve You've nailed a Good Topic on this one. I can say I have basically traveled thru out the midwest from Ohio to Iowa back to Pa, up into Mich thru out Indiana, down into West Virginia and all over Ohio togather up just about anything in tractors or implements that I felt I needed or wanted. Yes it does have to be a decent price of course that always helps. I have bought off of the Wheel Horse classifieds and ebay of course, word of mouth always helps also. I have met alot of Fine people doing this. I really don't believe I have met a bad person yet but you always here you don't want to deal with this guy because he a real A$$. As you can tell traveling doesn't really bother me as I still have a trip to make back to Illinois yet this fall. So its a good thing the price of gas has dropped significantly as it will certainly help me on the next trip west. As far as is there anything specific that I collect or have to have I guess I have a favortism towards GT14's as you well know. And basically like everyone else it has to be something I can justify using. I also lean towards the 57 rj's as that was the year I was born, so anything made in 57 is always good with me. Gettin' kind of long so it's someone else's turn. Burly :banghead::USA: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

hoosier

Location, location, location. I don't like road trips, I won't go very far. I might go an hour away but I need to really want it. :banghead:

bell

Well, I would have to say... It has to be cheap. I love them all the same.... it just has to be within my budget.

Also, I am starting to realize that I prefer the Kohler engines, but a Techujunkseh can be delt with.. (swapped out) with the exception of my 603. I'm gonna keep it original.

Great thread by the way... :banghead:

C-Series14

Has to be a C-Series...don't know why. I just like sticking to one style I guess. I only have 7 of them and see no need for any more. Thought of having a couple just for show. I have the "Super C" and have a 1979 C-161 Twin 8-speed, 2 of the rare C-Series I would say, would like to find a 1976 C-160 8-speed I guess, that was my first WH that my Mom bought new in 1976 and I mowed just about every yard in town with it!

Michael Bullington

I am a real fan of the front engine round hoods. I tend to look for tractors that are in good shape and ORIGINAL. The Original part is the most important to me, I hate modified tractors, with changes such as engine, seat, steering wheel hood mods and wheels and tires. I will not even consider buying these unless they are dirt cheap, every modification reduces price in my book, because it cost so much to find the original parts. Also I tend to collect the Tecumseh line of tractors such as the 654,653,552 etc. and this may seem surprising because yes these are the lower end tractors as far as the collector is concerned. Heres my reason: Most collectors (especially dad and his friends) all they really want is the kohler tractors and really turn their nose up at the tecumsehs. Well I decided to be a little different and collect the tractors that they dont want. After working a few years with these engines they are really easy to maintain I really like the tecumseh engines, one day this may be the desired tractor, because everone seems to neglect them now.

Now before all you kohler fans get after me, yes if I was working this tractor is would be hands down, no question, I would buying a tractor with a kohler, but hey im just riding around tractor shows! :banghead:

nhwheelhorse

well i am cheap so if i can get it cheap and then location and now what it is but now i am pretty much done for a while. told the wife i want to have a yard full llike tt and well now i do have one.

BPjunk

Well Steve,

The factors I use to determain whether or not to buy a Wheel Horse are ......

1) It has to be a model I want.

2) It has to be a model I do not have.

Now this topic can be subparaphrased into ..... Will I pay big $$$$'s and What kind of condidtion is the Wheel Horse in? There limits of what a prudent man will pay on a Wheel Horse but I do calculate in a lot of factors when a final figure is reached.

Case in point 1)

The Senior model I own was purchsed at a auction in northern Indiana, which means a lot fo high bidding Wheel Horse collectors at the auction. I knew the condition of the Senior and also that the chances of me finding another in that kind of shape will be real slim. I had $5,000 to purchase the Senior but would have gone up another $500 or so I would not lose the Senior. I had figured $5,000 would be the needed price to get this Senior but luckly the bidding ended sooner. :banghead:

Case in point 2)

The model 854 that just picked up is a super nice no disapointment Wheel Horse but a premium price was paid for this 854. The 854 was complete with mower deck and all original as it even had 2 out of the 3 original thumb screws. Some spare parts also came with the deal as the owner ran across another old round hood and stripped it for spare parts. Old Wheel Horses like this do not come along very offten so the price was over looked, I also feel years down the road the value will increase.

Wild Bill

bowtieguy

So Mr Bill...if I am reading your post correctly, in Case #1 you had 5K plus another 500 to spend...but you bought it for less than 5K so I'm bettin' that you still have at least 1K in the budget....

Now in Factor #2 you will buy one that you do NOT have.....

So here's the deal...I'll sell ya one that you do not have for 50% of your budget...now y just gotta let me know what model you need...maybe an RJ-59 or maybe you keep the cash and lets trade sumpin' for your DIESEL Horse!!

Maybe I ought to ask Mrs BP (Sharon) what you need....lol :banghead:

CasualObserver

Bump for the Newbies.

hodge

I have noticed that nostalgia plays a huge part in the collector hobby, be it tractors or kitchen utensils, etc. What I mean is that most collectors, whether they realize it or not, prefer to collect things that remind them of the happiest times of their lives. It seems that in the old car field most guys in their 70s or older are more apt to be into Model As or other pre-war cars. Most in their 50s-60s are into cars from the '40s and '50s, and most in their late 30s-and 40s like things from the '60s-70s, etc. That is because in most cases these models are what they were around when they were younger. They are the models they used and learned to fix and that makes them comfortable. I think nostalgia plays a part in Wheel Horses as a hobby as well. A large number of us are partial to the models we grew up with. I know I am. My dad's '60 400ST was the only Wheel Horse I knew until the early '90s! I keep my eyes open for potential deals on round hoods and would like to have one of each Kohler powered model (I also am really fond of my 1054A.). I do occasionally run up on a newer model, but honestly am not all that interested in them as collectable but will no doubt look for one as a worker if I move to a larger place (My dad's 416-8 comes to mind.) I don't really care for the hydros, mainly because I feel awkward leaning forward to work the motion lever, but love a hydro lift. That could be because I came up using a stick and the larger tractor we had was a stick with a hydro lift.

I have driven well over 500 miles per trip to pick up a few tractors and even just a set of wheels and tires. Most of my trips cost me more in fuel than the machine I was picking up. But part of the hobby is getting around to meet other hobbyists and see the countryside.

For me, I have to agree. I lean towards the 70's and 80's horses. I will take either red or grey, and prefer Kohlers and gear drives. I would like to say price plays a part, but for me, like my dad always said "you can justify anything if you want it bad enough". So, cash in the pocket determines more than price. There is a limit to that, of course, as I become wiser and more savy.

I have driven out of state, because horses are kind of scarce in my area. I love the adventure.

:omg: I would love to run across a dusty, forgotten tractor, in excellent shape, owned by someone who is more interested in seeing her taken care of then making a fortune selling it. I know, wishful thinking. I thought I had at one time, but the seller broke contact, and I don't know what happened with it. Maybe some day....

photo, anyone? Here it is- an original, clean c-120....

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/br5...=DSCF0120-1.jpg

Operator

Very interesting topic! I myself don't really have a "plan" on buying them.

I guess it started after the secound one a Charger 12 I got from my old camping bud and a Wheel Horse Dealer, I liked that one and so I let my one son use it for his lawn well then I thought I need another one for tilling then I wouldn't have to take the deck off the 520 so I found the C-160 on Craigs List in Madison [ a little over 300 miles one way ] . Well then I thought how about an upgrade for the Charger to hyd. lift so I got one off E-Bay the GT-1848 with deck and plow in Rockford Ill. [ another 400 mile oneway trip ].

So if the price is right I'll drive a good distance. My tractors are all "workers" need to be hyd. lift. But now I'm thinking I might try to find a gear drive like a C-160 8-spd. and I'll add hyd. lift.

Now this topic of yours Refracman opens up another question - I'll pm you.

Randy

Drydock

-Most important: Working split case Unidrive. Does not have to work all that well, just work, thats rebuildable. Manual, do not want hydros. Just me, like gears.

-61 to 69 mostly. When Elmer and Cecil get it all worked out. Or any square hood that I can afford. I stop when the front end gets pointy.

-This is just me, but I love parts tractors. Good Unidrive, the rest can be done to my desires. Fit a Diesel, V-twin, big single, have fun with it. Complete ones deserve restoration. I love making runners and plowers out of the spare parts.

C-Series14

C-Series and nothing else. Like them all original except for tires and seat. I try to keep them original, just something I like I guess...that is the way they retain their style and they seem to be worth more that way! :omg:

Mattbg79

I either find a steal thats in great shape, or i feel sorry for a poor neglected horse and pay too much for it. Its like seeing that sad dog at the animal shelter! :omg:

Operator

This topic asks "How Far" would you go? Well when I set my mind on one , like a special C-195 and it is in Ind. and I'm in Wisc. looks like I'm going for a road trip!

Now if I could sell a couple of mine in that direction I'd haul it out that way then it wouldn't be quite so bad.

My wife says I never pay attention, I just seen now when this thread was first started - duh!

Randy

wikket

Who am I foolin'? The two most important things are:

1. Do I have enough cash hidden from the wife to buy it?

2. I better be home before she leaves for work in the morning!

I love this comment:

That's what I do, make sure the wife is working or away LOL then hide one in the bunker:)

Operator

I love this comment:

That's what I do, make sure the wife is working or away LOL then hide one in the bunker:)

undefined

I had to do that for my C-160, She was at our camper and I high tailed it to Madison WI early sat. morning.

BUT I messed up when all the tractors got together in one spot, oh boy it wasn't good. She started counting.

Randy