Colt45

Need help getting it running..

Colt45

Well, thanks again for those helping me to identify my wheel horse.  I believe it is a 1968 early model charger 12 with the starter generator.  Now I'm trying to get it running.  I have installed a new battery and no luck, not even a hint of it wanting to turn over.  I noticed the voltage regulator was corroded pretty bad when I examined it, so I replaced that as well, cleaned wire connections with a wire brush and no luck.  So, I am going to purchase a tester and try to figure out what's not getting juice and I need your wisdom.  My question is what do I test first, second, third, etc.?  And what voltage should they be at so I can narrow down the problem.  Thanks.

Wayne

Can you put 2 hands on the screen and turn it manually? not trying to be a smart ass, just want to be sure and start from square  1...

Edited by Wayne

gwest_ca

Here is a good Kohler manual that has a section on the starter/generator.

High resolution but each section is in a file of it's own

Lower resolution copy

Garry

Colt45

Yes it turns. Thanks for the manual

motox25

I'd check ignition switch and solenoid then if your getting 12 volts to the starter that's likely the culprit.

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh:  I have found in the pass that if u check for continuity in the wires this will help :wh: do the same with the switch, this is a good place to start. go on u tube look for how check for continuity for switch and wires if u do not understand this, Good luck with the 12hp,Great engines, Gary  B....

km3h

First thing to do is check that you do not have the PTO engaged. There is usually a safety switch that will prohibit voltage going to the solenoid if it is engaged. Have you checked the fuse. There should be one there someplace.

Run a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to the center post of the solenoid. If it turns over then you probably have either a dirty

connection, a bad key switch or a safety switch that is not closed for some reason.

If it turns over when using the jumper wire, follow the wire back from the solenoid back to whatever it is connected to which is probably the PTO switch. I am not familiar with your tractor but trouble shooting is pretty much the same on all tractors.

Colt45

Ok, I checked all the wires for voltage and everything is getting the same juice, but it still won't crank over.  If it had a solenoid I would have jumped it but it doesn't, maybe the starter/generator needs rebuilt?

Retired Wrencher

Ok, I checked all the wires for voltage and everything is getting the same juice, but it still won't crank over.  If it had a solenoid I would have jumped it but it doesn't, maybe the starter/generator needs rebuilt?

Check if u can see if the belt moves at all. sometimes the belt is to tight or loose to turn on the start /Gen. ok Good luck Gary   B..

Edited by T1257

Colt45

Got it to run. Figured out it's a bad ignition switch, might put a toggle with a push button on it.

Geno

If it's a basic Indak switch like most of them have it's only around 11.00 from O'reilly Auto Parts.  I've bought several from them.   :) 

km3h

Glad you found the problem but why not just get the right switch.