kudzu3

brake disc problems

kudzu3

Brake disc spins freely on 312-8, what could the matter be? :eusa-think:

gwest_ca

Tell us more. The 312-8's don't have a disc brake as we know them.

Perhaps the power take off pulley on the engine keeps spinning when the pto is off?

Garry

kudzu3

Sorry, this is not my tractor and I was asked this question over the phone. The wheel that comes out of the trans that the brake pad compresses onto to stop the tractor, free spins and doesn't stop the tractor when the brake is applied. That's how it was explained to me, hope it makes sense, I know nothing about the 312 :confusion-scratchheadblue: . The trans was recently separated for repair. I don't know how it works internally. I wish I had more info but this is all I know. Thanks

slammer302

There is a half moon key on the shaft for the brake pulley maybe it is sheared off or the brake band is not adjusted right

gwest_ca

Sounds like a Peerless transmission in a 2xx-x series tractor. They have a disc brake.

Peerless service manual

Garry

rmaynard

I believe all the 312-8's had uni-drives. Someone needs to look at the brake drum and determine if it is spinning on the shaft or if the shaft is not turning.

kudzu3

Okay, just got off the phone to the owner. Seems that brakes work when in gear but not when in neutral (?). The pulley is tight on the shaft, no problems there. Most likely an internal problem and the trans will need to be split to find it. Sorry I didn't have all the info before, just trying to help a friend. Thanks all.

Don1977

As said above there is a key under a gear inside the transmission on the brake shaft. The brake drum is attached with the double d set up.