Carpenter

New to Wheel Horse 1968 Lawn Ranger (Need advice)

Carpenter

I'm new to the Wheel Horse forum and am excited to tap into the wealth of knowledge available here.

I recently bought my first wheel horse from a friend who's father had bought it new. It is a 1968 Lawn Ranger.

The one problem I have run across so far is the gas tank was left sitting with gas in it for years and now it is 

full of gunk and rust. Is there any way to find replacement tanks? Is there a good way of cleaning them out?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks from Missouri

post-13859-0-10003600-1410325020_thumb.j

post-13859-0-02589500-1410325037_thumb.j

• Like 1

CasualObserver

:WRS:

Sharp looking Lawn Ranger!  I moved your post out of the gallery section to the main forum so you can get your question answered... (there are no comments allowed in the gallery)

Tank can easily be cleaned.  You just have to put the time and effort into it.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

:WRS: And thanks for posting pics of that fine looking Horse.

• Like 1

pfrederi

The tanks long neck makes it a bit unique.  Clean out isn't hard.  Remove tank and outlet fitting.  Tri Sodium Phosphate and hot water (or purple power or the like) and a few rocks.  Then just slosh it around. Rinse well and then put in some Acetone and swill it around.  (acetone will absorb left over water to preclude rusting.  There are various coatings you can buy for gas tanks check you r auto parts store.

• Like 2

Geno

Nice looking tractor and  :WRS:

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Welcome to  :rs: !

"Wealth of knowledge" is an understatement..

Nice little  :wh: tractor you got there! 

• Like 1

Wayne

That's a beauty! carb cleaner will dissolve old fuel, so will brake parts cleaner :)

• Like 1

slammer302

I sent you a pm about using evaporust a guy I work with says it works great

• Like 1

slammer302

I live in MO to!! The mid mo meet and greet is next week you should come

• Like 2

Terry M

Welcome to the :rs: ...very Nice Lawn Ranger you have there :handgestures-thumbupright: .   Just curious, is that the original paint on it?

• Like 1

Carpenter

Thanks for the compliments on the Lawn Ranger! I took the tank off and disassembled the carb last night. I changed the spark plug and hooked up a new fuel hose to an extra tank and was able to fire it up. It is in pretty good shape other than the gas tank. I will let you know what I end up using to clean it out once I do it. 

pfrederi - I'm not quite sure what you mean by the tank having a long neck? The tank is basically just a rectangular shape so your probably right that it won't be too difficult. Thanks for the Acetone tip. How long do you let the Tri sodium phosphate sit? I am thinking about picking up something called Red-Kote at my local auto parts store. Have you used any specific brand to coat the inside of a tank?

Wayne - How long would you let the carb cleaner or brake cleaner sit before you emptied it? What would the next step be before coating the inside of the tank? Would you have to neutralize the chemicals from the cleaner? 

slammer302 - I will look into the Evaporust too. When and where is the meet and greet so I can check my schedule? 

Terry M - All original paint. There are a few chips here and there but all in all it is in good condition. I will post some more pics once I clean it up.

Everyone else feel free to chime in with advice. The more info the better. 

CasualObserver

He means the tank has a taller than average fill neck due to it having to come up through the hood.  I wouldn't bother with the Red Kote for this... (and I've used it)  You can probably buy another already clean used tank for the same money you'll spend on that.... definitely if you're buying that and the evaporust.  Besides... that's only really necessary if your tank has actual rusted through holes. If your tractor's condition is any indication, you just need to clean the tank.  I tried evaporust... it was not that effective for me.  I probably just should have left it sit longer.  I've had much better results with drenching it in rust penatrant and putting some abrasives (like roofing nails and sand) in the tank, tape sealing it shut and strapping it to the wheel of another tractor while mowing the lawn.  The spinning and abrasives ratting around inside clean it right up.

• Like 2

Wayne

I was looking at a less invasive method to start with... as for the carb cleaner/brake cleaner reference, remove the tank, remove the cap, remove  the shut off, spay until it comes out clean and then inspect with a flashlight. it should come up mostly clean. I am asuming the tank itself is a healthy one, no rust holes, just gunk inside. if you have holes I am sure you can find a new tank, which would be alot easier than trying to repair the old one :) hope this helps.

• Like 1

Carpenter

He means the tank has a taller than average fill neck due to it having to come up through the hood.  I wouldn't bother with the Red Kote for this... (and I've used it)  You can probably buy another already clean used tank for the same money you'll spend on that.... definitely if you're buying that and the evaporust.  Besides... that's only really necessary if your tank has actual rusted through holes. If your tractor's condition is any indication, you just need to clean the tank.  I tried evaporust... it was not that effective for me.  I probably just should have left it sit longer.  I've had much better results with drenching it in rust penatrant and putting some abrasives (like roofing nails and sand) in the tank, tape sealing it shut and strapping it to the wheel of another tractor while mowing the lawn.  The spinning and abrasives ratting around inside clean it right up.

Thanks for clarifying! I will take your good advice and mow the lawn with the gas tank strapped on and be killing two birds with one stone. Do you think adding an inline filter would be a good idea? Do you recommend a specific rust penatrant that works? 

Carpenter

I was looking at a less invasive method to start with... as for the carb cleaner/brake cleaner reference, remove the tank, remove the cap, remove  the shut off, spay until it comes out clean and then inspect with a flashlight. it should come up mostly clean. I am asuming the tank itself is a healthy one, no rust holes, just gunk inside. if you have holes I am sure you can find a new tank, which would be alot easier than trying to repair the old one :) hope this helps.

Thanks! Less invasive is what I am looking for. The tank feels pretty solid. I doubt there are any holes so your assumptions are probably correct. Thanks for clarifying!

Geno

I've had much better results with drenching it in rust penatrant and putting some abrasives (like roofing nails and sand) in the tank, tape sealing it shut and strapping it to the wheel of another tractor while mowing the lawn.  The spinning and abrasives ratting around inside clean it right up.

That is brilliant.  :text-thankyouyellow:   :text-+1:

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Do you think adding an inline filter would be a good idea? Do you recommend a specific rust penatrant that works?

Absolutely run an inline filter... they're cheap PM. (Preventive Maintenance) You just never know what junk ends up in your gas can. As for rust stuff... just your average PB Blaster or Kroil. Heck for cleaning WD-40 will work if thats what you have handy. ... although that's not a true rust penetrant.

Via Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

He means the tank has a taller than average fill neck due to it having to come up through the hood. I wouldn't bother with the Red Kote for this... (and I've used it) You can probably buy another already clean used tank for the same money you'll spend on that.... definitely if you're buying that and the evaporust. Besides... that's only really necessary if your tank has actual rusted through holes. If your tractor's condition is any indication, you just need to clean the tank. I tried evaporust... it was not that effective for me. I probably just should have left it sit longer. I've had much better results with drenching it in rust penatrant and putting some abrasives (like roofing nails and sand) in the tank, tape sealing it shut and strapping it to the wheel of another tractor while mowing the lawn. The spinning and abrasives ratting around inside clean it right up.

Genius absolutely Genius!

Geno

Wonder what the neighbors will say about us now AJ mowing with a fuel tank duck taped to the wheel?   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

AJ_Thanatos

Wonder what the neighbors will say about us now AJ mowing with a fuel tank duck taped to the wheel? :laughing-rolling:

I actually have a 1975 Yamaha TX 500 that is going to get this treatment.[emoji13] Edited by Thanatos

pfrederi

I used my  Lawn Ranger years ago to clean out the tank of a generator I was rehabbing.  Made a frame out of 2x4s bolted to the rear hub and the 5 gallon generator tank.  jacked up the Rangers rear end and let it run in 2nd gear for a awhilee and then reverse....  Then used the Eastwood system to finish the job.

• Like 2

Geno

That will be nice this winter, we can do that inside!   :woohoo:

Wayne

You know, I was just looking at those pics  again, I think I am jealous. that  is probably the best looking original survivor I have ever seen. :)

Carpenter

You know, I was just looking at those pics  again, I think I am jealous. that  is probably the best looking original survivor I have ever seen. :)

Thanks, Wayne! It has been really well taken care of.

jackhammer

And its good to see that its in good hands.

• Like 1