Dave H.

48" Deck Components Interchangable Question

Dave H.

G' Day Folks,

I have a 1998 48" Side Discharge Mowing Deck Type: 78361 Serial# 8900624. This deck assembly is rusted out and is beyond repair. However the components on it can be salvaged and reused.

I have tried searching the TORO website for a replacement deck assembly only to find the 1998 Part Number: 94-9769-01 Shell is no longer for sale.

TORO does offer the 1999 Deck Assembly 94-9769 (Minus the 0 at the end) for sale for $ 927.91 My question is: Are the components interchangable between these two model types?

I'd appreciate any feedback or comments regarding this question.

As always, thanks for the input.

Dave

Don1977

First you need to see if you can remove all the pulleys with out damaging them to get the spindle assemblies out. I don't see a reason that it would not work as Toro used the same 78361 48" deck number from 1998 to 2012. You can go to Parts Tree and check all the parts numbers between the two decks  but I don't think that is necessary.

Dave H.

First you need to see if you can remove all the pulleys with out damaging them to get the spindle assemblies out. I don't see a reason that it would not work as Toro used the same 78361 48" deck number from 1998 to 2012. You can go to Parts Tree and check all the parts numbers between the two decks  but I don't think that is necessary.

Good Morning Don,

Thanks for the input. I've never removed the pulley's on the Wheel Horse Deck, so that will be the big unknown. Most of the components on the old deck seem to be in very good shape. The prior owner never rinsed the deck out after mowing, so there are large sections completely rotted out. I considered welding new plates in, or fiberglassing, but after all was considered the price of a new shell just makes more sense. Plus with the new shell, I can apply a new epoxy (under-deck) treatment before swapping parts over.

I appreciate the 78361 information. I'll bookmark Parts Tree for future reference. That's a good lead.

Many Thanks For the reply.

Forest Road

All the WH 42 SD/RD & 48" SD decks for our classic series used interchange parts from mid eighties to the end. I've salvaged many components with great success.

Dave H.

All the WH 42 SD/RD & 48" SD decks for our classic series used interchange parts from mid eighties to the end. I've salvaged many components with great success.

That's very interesting! I never imagined the 42" deck components were also interchangeable. I'll keep that in mind. This is all looking positive.

Many Thanks

608KEB

There was a brand new NOS 48" SD deck in classified for $600-$650. Just a suggestion

Dave H.

There was a brand new NOS 48" SD deck in classified for $600-$650. Just a suggestion

Thanks! I'll take a look.

can whlvr

I would check the vendors (used parts guys and also posy an add in the wanted area,i bought 2 48 side discharge decks for 300 bucks,and im in Ontario where parts arnt as popular as down there

Dave H.

I would check the vendors (used parts guys and also posy an add in the wanted area,i bought 2 48 side discharge decks for 300 bucks,and im in Ontario where parts arnt as popular as down there

Thank You Don, that was a great deal you got for 300. Not bad at all! I'll consider the want ad, but I'm pretty sure I'll just buy a new shell and swap the parts over. My reasoning is the undercoating treatment I want to apply. Most of the decks for sale already have "seasoned" metal from years of use. I'd like to get a new shell, prep and epoxy coat the inside.

My number one question has been the component swap-over from my old deck over to a new shell. So far it looks like my old components can shift over without a problem. I'm figuring new spindels, belts and springs.

Greetings to Ontario :greetings-waveyellow: