Irv

Broken stud

Irv

Just picked up a 99 314-8 with the Kohler Command that has a broken stud where the muffler attaches. I can just get the tip of vise grips on what's left (about 1/8 in. and of course can't turn it out. I suppose the next step is to drill it out (unless someone has another idea). How far in should I drill? thanks for your thoughts.

KC9KAS

Heat it up with a torch and then touch it with wax. The wax will melt into the threads and "lubricate" it so you can turn it out.

I recently welded a nut to a broken stud and then did the wax trick. Used a 3/8" drive ratchet and backed the sucker right out!

• Like 2

Wayne

tap it with a ball peen hammer, use a cut off wheel on a die grinder to cut a slot and and impact driver in the slot before you get too crazy drilling :) , like turning out a screw. tapping it should loosen any rust that is holding it in...

clem

Heat & wax

km3h

If you have to drill it out, be very careful. Don't break off a drill bit. They are very hard and will cause you real problems. Drill in steps going to a larger bit slowly. If there is enough room to weld a not or a smaller diameter bold, that's what I'd do. Next best choice is the heat and wax job then cut a slot and impact wrench. Studs are usually made of high tinsel steel and don't drill easily.

specialwheelhorse

If all else fails find a shop in the area that has what I call a tap burner

It will burn out anything no matter how hard that's why it's called a tap burner

Used in the aircraft industry, not a fancy machine but takes all the

Falderal out of the whole deal. I worked at united aircraft for ten years

So I know this little machine saved them much money.

Irv

Thanks for your help guys. I'll try the tap, heat and wax method first and see what happens.

Irv

Tried the heat and wax, no luck. Are we sure that it is threaded in? On the other stud, I can see that the treads for the bolt to hold the muffler on stop about 1/8 " from the block.

Racinbob

Yes, it's threaded in per the parts manual for that motor.

Irv

You're right Racin, just looked it up myself. thanks

Racinbob

You bet Irv. Good luck getting that thing out of there. I don't have any ideas better than what's been mentioned already.

Wayne

do you have access to a oxy acetyline torch? heating it might make it release... just don't go melting anyting

km3h

I bet you would be surprised at how cheaply you could get that fixed at a local machine shop. Another Idea would be to weld a bolt to it and then cut the head off. Then you just put a nut on it and be done.