mudpatrol1

800 a hot rod

mudpatrol1

i know there isnt alot of love for the A 800 vertical shaft tractors,but i picked one up with a newer replacement 8 hp briggs,and brand new carlisle ag,s for 75.00.it had a modified mtd snowblower on it which i removed.i mainly bought it for the rear tires,and the rest is gravy.... after tearing it down today,i just cant bring myself to scrapping it. so since i am into classic cars and hot rods i figured i will repower her with a 6.75 horse ohv briggs engine i already have and ditch the trans for a go cart rear axle set up.drop the front and raise the rear,use a old schoo; tractor seat pan,flat black and red paint. thoughts,comments,suggestions????? Roger 

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Add some whitewall tires and Baby Moons and you'd have a real rat rod there Roger. I like it! Be sure to post some pics for us.

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:      :auto-layrubber:    :wwp:

:WRS:

mudpatrol1

this will probably be 1 of my indoor winter projects,hopefully i will have it done for car show season next year

i will try and post before pictures tommorow,i know .... no pics = it aint real,lol

• Like 2

Geno

Hey there and :text-welcomewave:   We just can't help it, we're all pic happy around here.  :banana-gotpics:   :banana-gotpics:   :laughing-rolling: 

N3PUY

i know there isnt alot of love for the A 800 vertical shaft tractors,but i picked one up with a newer replacement 8 hp briggs,and brand new carlisle ag,s for 75.00.it had a modified mtd snowblower on it which i removed.i mainly bought it for the rear tires,and the rest is gravy.... after tearing it down today,i just cant bring myself to scrapping it. so since i am into classic cars and hot rods i figured i will repower her with a 6.75 horse ohv briggs engine i already have and ditch the trans for a go cart rear axle set up.drop the front and raise the rear,use a old schoo; tractor seat pan,flat black and red paint. thoughts,comments,suggestions????? Roger 

Too good to scrap .... so .... RAT ROD IT!  12.5 Kohler.  7" longer, 7" lower.

post-6866-0-77225800-1409949474_thumb.jp

• Like 2

mudpatrol1

cool tractor,but mine is a vertical shaft model.the frame is bolted together in sections kind of like a unibody car. dont think the chassis can handle alot of weight,hence staying with a aluminum engine. not sure how the stock trans would hold up to a higher hp engine if i replaced the current 8 with a 12 hp briggs.one benefit would be electric start,another being charging system......... decisions,decisions

N3PUY

cool tractor,but mine is a vertical shaft model.the frame is bolted together in sections kind of like a unibody car. dont think the chassis can handle alot of weight,hence staying with a aluminum engine. not sure how the stock trans would hold up to a higher hp engine if i replaced the current 8 with a 12 hp briggs.one benefit would be electric start,another being charging system......... decisions,decisions

Oh.... charging system would be nice. I don't have a charging system! The motor came off of a generator. I guess the generator charged the battery.

Joe

Edited by N3PUY

mudpatrol1

• Like 2

mudpatrol1

as promised,i did indeed post some pics.thinking of running a peerless 700 series trans with 12 horse briggs vertical shaft. electric start,charging system,key ignition.... trans would drive solid go cart style axle with disc brake.i will drop the front down by fabricating new spindles similar in design to older cub cadets.

• Like 1

Geno

Someone did some serious mods to that tractor.  Looks like they did some nice work too.   :)

mudpatrol1

yes indeed they did,the original owner was a machinist in the military,it took him 2 years to fab everything,and 1 day to strip her down. i have receipts totalling 600.00 :eek:

mudpatrol1

it had dual batteries,onboard air to assist the snowblower lift with a air cylinder,angle gear box is totally home built using peerless transmission bevel gears,

Geno

Wow, that is pretty serious. You gonna put all the missing stuff back?

mudpatrol1

no,i am going for a stripped down model look.lol

Geno

You could do that with the next one...  :eusa-whistle:

mudpatrol1

i saved alot of the parts used on his modification. truth is i dont think this tractor had enough weight or power for what he did. 

mudpatrol1

Geno

I'm sure you'll find something to use all those cool parts on!   :woohoo:

mudpatrol1

since the tires hit the rear fender,i am going to have to step it down like my 312-8 which raises the fenders. or find a old metal seat and spring and perhaps round fenders off something.no need to do that until my driveline choice is made and installed.it would be great if i can reuse the rear hubs on a solid axle though....

• Like 1

mudpatrol1

here is a new update as old man winter is closing in on us. i picked up a 16 horse briggs twin in a craftsman tractor for 50 bucks,it will fit but i need to trim the hood sides . for now i am going to lock the original trans and get the twin mounted and wired up. i will use the rear ag,s for playing in the snow hopefully,also i will add a gas pedal and lights. still need to get some type of gas tank. hopefully this will be a play toy for the winter and see how it goes from here.charging system and electric start is a big plus

19richie66

It will be cool when you get it finished. Cant wait to see it.

mudpatrol1

hopefully i will get it somewhat done by december,right now my focus is getting a gt 18 with snow plow ready for sale. along with the craftsman i bought for the engine came 2 sears suburbans that hadnt ran in 10 plus years. hard to pass up on these old tractors at a great price.

mudpatrol1

yet another update,i picked up a murray rear engine rider for 40 bucks with a peerless 700 3 speed. now i think i will use that trans with a 1 inch go cart axle so i can reuse the stock hubs. of course now i need to figure out pulley sizes as well as sprockets..... nobody said this was going to be easy

Molon_Labe

I think winter is here! Any new updates Roger?