squonk

Installing a rear lift and cable on a 73 12 8spd.

squonk

Innovations have been coming fast and furious here at Wheel Horse Plaza!  :) I hope to be able to bring Ezra to a plow day someday. It needed to have the lift cable put in it. The factory set up has been discontinued so lets use what we can get our hands on. I had installed a cable I made up with Lowes components but I wanted something better. A cable for a 520 is still avail. so that's what I went with.

Note: I did this exact same change on my C-160 Auto. but I want a gear tranny tractor for plowing. Neither one of these tractors have the provision for a rock shaft either.

The Parts: Toro # 108145 short clevis and a Toro 108144 cable. These are pricey. Cost me $63 bucks but like I said I wanted something better and sometimes you just have to pay. Also included is a $3.00 piece of brake line for the conduit and a 5/16" NC thread yoke end from McMaster -Carr. I have 4 tractor suppliers near me and 3 of them don't know what a yoke end is :rolleyes:  and the other one had a drawer for it but it hasn't been refilled for 2 years :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: I used a slot hitch but I think a clevis hitch will work the same. I was using an 8' WH plow but now with the beefier cable I'm more confident to use my 10" Brinly :)

The cable is too short to work so I welded on a 5/16 bolt for an extension and cut the head off

rearcable001_zpsbb120576.jpg

new cable won't fit in the existing conduit so the 3/8 brake line is needed. the openings in it need to be deburred before using

rearcable002_zpsf8ddbbdb.jpg

Seat and trim were removed. I wedged the rear panel up after unbolting from the trans. slid out the old conduit and slid in the new.

rearcable003_zpsade1d1f2.jpg

After sliding the cable in and attaching to the slot hitch I measured the extension bolt and cut it to length needed.

rearcable004_zps92dea791.jpg

Yoke installed in the up position

rearcable005_zps60470348.jpg

Now in the down position.

rearcable006_zps336fe836.jpg

Rear view.

rearcable007_zps1f3a2993.jpg

Plow in up position.

rearcable008_zpsaa5253f4.jpg

Plow in down position

rearcable009_zps57387a93.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 8

AMC RULES

Nice, clean installation.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for the detailed explanation of this install! This is one of the things that we will be doing on the Iron Horse resto. This saves us some time and research. Great pics!

royB100

How many bolts to unbolt the trans? I see the two but when I did those wedging won't get me any where.

clip

What type of hitch are you using for the plow, doesn't look like a standard Wheel Horse sleeve.

squonk

How many bolts to unbolt the trans? I see the two but when I did those wedging won't get me any where.

Is the fender pan off? also look at the running boards. There may be a bolt there also

What type of hitch are you using for the plow, doesn't look like a standard Wheel Horse sleeve.

It's a slot hitch of of a 60's horse

• Like 1

312Hydro

Nice work! Looks like a clean installalation.

rexman72

ready to do the job