chipwitch

2 questions regarding implement design, C series.

chipwitch

I'm curious about a couple things that just don't seem like very thoughtful design elements and got to thinking that maybe it's because a previous owner might have taken some artistic license with my tractor. 

Question 1: Does the hood hinge forward at the front base and then rest on the ground?  It's bolted on, but looks like it might have been originally designed without an actual hinge pin.  Rather, like my JD riding mower, the hood tips forward at about a 45 degree angle whereby it can then be lifted from the tractor.  Tailgate on my pickup works the same way.  The reason I ask is that it seems the way mine is currently configured, any front mounted implements like a snow blade, FEL, etc would interfere with engine maintenance.  Set me straight... is mine configured correctly?  If so, are implements designed to be far enough away as to not interfere?  I'm designing a front mount chicken plucker and would like it to be mounted as close to the hood as possible for strength, but not so close as to prevent looking under the hood.

Question 2:  My mule drive was incomplete.  It was missing the V-pulley in addition to all the spacers.  The flat pulley was already there.  I opted to make the missing one (as well as the spacers) rather than buying new.  It's far more solid than the ones you buy for $25.  I'm not sure if the flat pulley is the right one.  It looks too wide.  From pictures I've seen, it appears the v-pulley diameter is about 1/8" larger than the flat pulley.  I made mine based on the assumption that the flat pulley on my mule drive was the correct one.  Now that I've made the parts and assembled the mule drive, I notice the clearance between the belt cover and the v-pulley is maybe 1/8".  Certainly, it's too close to route the belt on without removal of the belt cover.  In fact, I think the flat pulley is also too close to squeeze the belt in place without removing the cover.  To me, it seems to defeat the convenience of the Tach-a-matic when you still have to fetch a 1-1/8" wrench or socket for the belt cover any time you mount or dismount the deck.  Do I have the right flat pulley?  It's 4-1/8" OD.

Thanks

Edited by chipwitch

rmaynard

Question 1 - The hood should have stops that keep it from opening all the way to the ground. They are probably worn off.

Question 2 - I will answer as soon as I pull out a mule and make some measurements. As far as the nut, when I remove a deck, I just remove the whole mule drive, belt, cover and all.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Here are a couple pics that may help him Bob.  Like you said, the hood brackets have the piece angled  down that rest on the 1/4" round rod.

I to, leave the belt on the mule drives.....Makes for a quick change if you break a belt.

post-7208-0-83645500-1409249319_thumb.jppost-7208-0-54014200-1409249297_thumb.jppost-7208-0-43323900-1409249277_thumb.jp

chipwitch

Thanks Gents.  Mine is definitely different.  See how mine has a kind of inverted hook?  My JD has something similar.  That is where a piece of flat stock appears to have been intended to sit such that the hood would be able to rock back and forth.  Once opened, the hood can be pulled off by pulling it forward (with respect to the tractor).  As you can see, there are just some bolts acting as hinge pins.

post-13140-0-26467500-1409253849_thumb.j

post-13140-0-06652900-1409253860_thumb.j

rmaynard

What is the model number on that tractor?

Ed Kennell

Yeah , It appears there is a simple piece of flat bar missing on the hood that would fit in that hook and stop the hood at 45Deg.

What model C is that ? I have C models '70 thru '80, and I have not seen that.

Edited by ekennell

chipwitch

Ed, I see you have an 80 C-125.  That's what I have.  Though, it may be an '81.  I have the serial number in another thread.  I'll find it and link back.

rmaynard

Looks like a C-175 or the like. They had a V-shaped mount according to the parts page. I have never seen one, so I can't comment. The C's I am familiar with have a tab that rest against a rod that runs through the front tach-a-matic hitch.

chipwitch

Okay... I added my equipment to my signature.

rmaynard

Unfortunately I can't see your signature when using Tapatalk. The C-1x5's show two options for the hinge. I'd say yours is either worn, bent, or missing something.

Edited by rmaynard

Ed Kennell

You are right Chip. I forgot I had that C-125. I'll have to find it and check it out and get back.

I'm in real trouble....now I'm even losing tractors.

chipwitch

Sorry Maynard... it's a 1980 C-125. 

Ed, that's GOOD!  Heck, maybe I have a G5 I forgot about!  ;) Of course, I hope I also forgot I had a jet fuel depot somewhere to go with it!  :eusa-think:

chipwitch

Bob, I must have read over the part where you leave the belt on mule drive.  I just now noticed it.  So, the belt won't slip on and off with the belt cover in place?  If that's so, then I should be good to go.

dcrage

Belt cover must be removed to separate the belt from the mule drive -- As said above leave the belt and mule drive together when mowing deck isn't in use -- Remove the mule drive and belt as one piece

Ed Kennell

Found it...Wheeeww. Here is what I have on the C-125. The hood drops to the ground, and I have no clue what if anything is missing or how it was supposed to work. That notched piece on the hood is not broken...it still has paint on the edge.

post-7208-0-40056500-1409269533_thumb.jppost-7208-0-57085000-1409269548_thumb.jp

Edited by ekennell

chipwitch

Interesting.  Ed, yours is significantly different than mine.  Somebody must have found the v-shaped part for the c-175 as mentioned earlier, and modified the original.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Edited: I forgot part of one question... So, are all front mounted implements mounted far enough out front to allow clearance to open the hood?  If not, how do you handle the interference, checking oil etc?

Edited by chipwitch

boovuc

Hi Chip!

I have an FEL on a 1991 520-H and I have a Hi-Chute single stage snowblower on a C-175 circa 1983. (Blackhood).

Both hoods stop SHORT of opening all the way with the implements on and lowered.
Answer to your question.....................No. The implements on mine are not far enough forward to completely do routine maintenance due to the hoods not being able to open all the way.

On my FEL tractor, I have to bend the dipstick to get it out and in the dipstick tube when checking the oil. Adding oil is a minor issue verses if the hood could be opened all the way. Front spark plugs are a SOB to change out on both tractors with the implements on. Same with the air filters. It isn't impossible but it certainly is easier when the hoods can open all the way. It is mildly annoying more than anything.

Trouty56

I have 3 blackhoods....2 have the stops like the OP's...and both stop the hood.  The 3rd tractor had none and the hood dropped to the ground as the other example shown.  I fabbed up a couple stops because I didn't like that....

can whlvr

so im confused,is the first one factory or not,not like any of my tractors but I don't have a black hood

Trouty56

so im confused,is the first one factory or not,not like any of my tractors but I don't have a black hood

This is on a 145 auto...The 125 auto is the same.....

post-1933-140952602239_thumb.jpg

chipwitch

Thanks Bob.  That is NOT how I imagined it working!   BTW, I have the 8-speed manual.   I don't see where the hinge is attached to the hood.  In the picture of mine above, you can see how it was bolted to it, while yours has a cleaner look.  Obviously, the hinge point isn't in the right spot on mine, relative to the hood as the hood doesn't catch on the dog like the one in your picture.  Looks like mine was a poor retrofit.  Probably not the original hood either.  I remember seeing a company sticker just below the tractor's instrument panel... it was some kind of tractor hood company.  Probably a salvaged hood from another tractor.

Don1977

I checked the hood hinges on Parts Tree they list both types, so they were sold by Toro.

Ed Kennell

On my tractors w/o hood supports, I use a cable or rod as a support. Also use it to catch the flip up seat pans so they don't catch the tires.

post-7208-0-90360300-1409580868_thumb.jppost-7208-0-45827600-1409583202_thumb.jppost-7208-0-74424000-1409583240_thumb.jppost-7208-0-84246100-1409583268_thumb.jp

Callen

Looks like the hood is falling down below the catch. Might try bigger bolts in the pivots.

Trouty56

Thanks Bob.  That is NOT how I imagined it working!   BTW, I have the 8-speed manual.   I don't see where the hinge is attached to the hood.  In the picture of mine above, you can see how it was bolted to it, while yours has a cleaner look.  Obviously, the hinge point isn't in the right spot on mine, relative to the hood as the hood doesn't catch on the dog like the one in your picture.  Looks like mine was a poor retrofit.  Probably not the original hood either.  I remember seeing a company sticker just below the tractor's instrument panel... it was some kind of tractor hood company.  Probably a salvaged hood from another tractor.

I used a skeleton from a C-85 to build another 145 8 speed.....it did NOT have the same design as this.  It was the same as ekennel's pic of his 125.....that is the one I fabbed up a couple stops on.....

These tractors get parts all mixed up from 30 years back.....