diamondred

7235 spring

diamondred

I can't find a new one anywhere, would it be possible to make one blacksmith style?

Ed Kennell

What 's the spring for Joe?

daveoman1966

You'll find that spring in the 10-pinion differential of a 5073 trans Raider 12 -14) or the Sundstrand model 90-2046 gearbox of a Charger, Bronco 14.. or others in years 1968 thru 1973.  It is a flat circular spring on the inner race of pinion gears and peculiar to the LSD units. 

BTW...  If you find a source for these springs, or a way to pre-fab, I need two of them

My direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net  

Edited by daveoman1966

diamondred

Ed, its the spring in a limited slip differential that makes it limited slip. If it is worn badly or broken the differential will act as a standard differential. 

Ed Kennell

OK, thanks For the info Joe and Dave. So as I understand it,  this spring just creates the friction to make. these trannies a LSD.  And can this spring simply be removed to return the tranny to a non LSD ?  I read on another thread  were a member was questioning if this spring also keeps the axles from moving in towards the center of the differential.  I have watched  Steves  excellent videos of the rebuilding of these trannies and I can't tell if the spring is the only part that controls the position of the axles.

Thoughts ?    May be Steve will Know.

Ed Kennell

I just read that other thread and see it is you , Joe that asked that question.  No one seems to have an answer.

The reason I am asking is because the Raider 14 that I recently got has this LSD tranny and I noticed the right hub was moved in on the axle with only an 1/8" clearance with the tranny housing.

The hub was tight on the axle and the set screws were tight, so I assumed the PO  moved it in for some reason.  I pulled the hub off, cleaned, deburred it and put it back on in its correct position.

The tranny seems to work OK ....no noise and the axles have the typical 1/8" axial movement.

diamondred

Without having one in front of me, from the other thread I looked at, the spring appears to be about a 1/2" wide. If you look at the end of the axle that is in the differential, from that end to the backside of the snap ring appears to be about 1/4". So with that being said, IMO, the spring was designed to put pressure against the pinions, not to set the end play for the axles. As a matter of fact, the ends axles should touch each other(with determined amount of end play) and allow the spring to have enough clearance to do what it was intended to do. Make it posi... :auto-layrubber:   

Ed Kennell

:text-thankyouyellow:  for the reply Joe.   That increases my confidence in my tranny.  It is working fine with no noise when driving in a tight circle where the spring would have to be sliding on he pinions.

I still want to lift both wheels and check for noise with it in gear and rotating one wheel. It was quite nasty when I did this before flushing  a couple times and filling with new 90Wt oil.

Then when I saw that hub had been moved in  about 2" on the axle, I just got a little nervous that there may have been a problem inside.

• Like 1