cleat

520H seat spring upgrade or reinforcement

cleat

I have 2 520's and one of them the seat springs are fine, the other rocks around and bottoms out. I have removed the coil springs and have just the rubber bumpers. I am talking about the larger leaf springs. I have bought another set of springs and when they arrive I will try them.

They have identical seats installed.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Thanks, Cleat

Ed Kennell

Here is a pic of  the mod I made to my 520s seat.

I also removed the coil springs and the slider, then added big rubber bumpers made from an old bow roller off a boat trailer. 

I also added a hinged 1/16" thick plate to cover the holes in the seat pan. This keeps the grass out and also acts as a reinforcing plate for the bumpers to rest on.

This arrangement is very stable.

post-7208-0-23133900-1408796546.jpg

post-7208-0-43055100-1408796561.jpg

• Like 4

Martin

Cleat,

i think you just have one or more weak springs. i have a couple I've needed to replace because they either broke or were weak. if you put several of those springs together you will sometimes see one or more a little more closed up than the others. I've found these are the tired ones. 

put a few together and pick 2 that are the most 'open' of them. i try to make sure the pair are the same height as each other. 

cheesegrader

I had to replace the U-springs on my latest 520.

One had been repaired with a weld, and the seatpan was bent and split!

I can't imagine what you have to run into to do that!

I got rid of the coil springs as well, since the seatswitch was jumped long ago.

Much better with the new parts.

I thought about removing the springs entirely like Ed did, but was afraid comfort would suffer!