snowhound

C-105 issue

snowhound

I have a 1980 C-105 with an engine issue that I need help with, after running for about 20 min the engine dies if I'm quick enough and pull the choke out about 1/4 inch it will continue running fine.  I've replaced  points (they were pitted), fuel filter, cleaned and adjusted carb.  I've though about the coil or condenser breaking down after heating up but wanted to get some advice from members before going any further.  

Ed 

shallowwatersailor

A possibility could be the throttle shaft sleeve. Check to see if you can wiggle it. If it is, a temporary solution is to wrap nylon string around it to act as a "gasket" to close the gap. The engine is sucking too much air and that is why the choke going partially close helps.

Ed Kennell

If choke helps, must be starving for fuel. Remove the fuel line at the carb, hold it in a can and crank engine. You should have a good pulsing spurt.

Or you have an air leak.  Check bolts and gasket between carb and block and loose fitting throttle shaft.

Sorry John, I was typing when  you posted.

snowhound

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll check fuel pump and for an air leak today

Ed

can whlvr

make sure the fuel cap vent isn't plugged

Molon_Labe

You can drain the gas tank and pull the fuel shut-off valve out of the grommet and see if the inlet is plugged. If you have a see through fuel filter and it's dry, check upstream, toward the tank. I just had the same problem on my C-111 and it was blockage at the inlet to the shut-off valve..