Jrblanke

Over due post, picked up a FEL!

Jrblanke

Last month I was fortunate enough to purchase Bill's (Leeave96) 520H w/ kwik-way loader. (Some of you may remember that he traded a log splitter for it). Well, he hooked me up and I couldn't be happier! The loader itself is in great shape. The cylinders and hoses are excellent with no cracks or leaks! The plates on the back weigh about 35 lbs each. So with the cast iron wheel weights (assuming they are 55 pounds) there is about 285 pounds on the rear. I am not sure if the tires are loaded.

It was a pretty interesting experience getting up there to his place in the mountains of VA! I don't have a trailer so Dad had to meet me up there with the equipment trailer that he uses to tow his kabota.. We were making good time until we realized that the GPS was set for shortest distance instead of quickest time. I didn't realize it until we pulled up to an intersection and with no cars coming he just sat there. I then noticed the sign that says, "road not passable by vehicles over 25'....GPS routing not advised". hahaha.

IMG_8132_zpsfb3e578f.jpg

Anyways, we made it there and I met Bill and his boys. Great folks! I really enjoyed talking wheel horses with them. I tried my best to contain my excitement, but I just couldn't do it. We even discovered that there was water in the oil, but I didn't care. I knew I was leaving with the loader before I even got there. Bill was kind enough to change the oil and give me a fresh battery. We probably ran it more while I was there than the entire time Bill had it. I looked back at Bill's post when he purchased it and it had 158.6 hours in September 2013, I believe it had 158.8 when I unloaded onto my trailer at my parents house. It now has 159.6hrs.

IMG_8136_zpsa1fd270b.jpg

IMG_8135_zps54d4715c.jpg

IMG_8137_zpsd85041d1.jpg

After finally getting it to Raleigh from my parents place last weekend, I was able to mess with it and get most of the water out of the engine. I drained the oil and removed the filter (had to drive a screw driver through it in order to loosen it). I Put on a new filter and filled the engine with a half cup of diesel fuel and the rest with cheap oil. I ran it for 2 or 3 minutes, drained the oil, refilled with new oil and put on a new filter. Ran it for 5 minutes, drained, changed filter, and refilled with rotella 30wt. I ran it for about 30 minutes and when I removed the dip stick I saw a small whisp or milkiness, so I assume there might still be a smig of water in it.

Today I drained the oil, and did the diesel trick again. Changed the filter and refilled with oil. Ill probably change it a couple more times before being completely satisfied. I am using Motorcraft F400S filters. I am getting them from advance auto for $2.58 (after using some online coupon codes). I also put a tarp over the engine and electrical area and spent about an hour with the pressure washer getting all the dirt and grim off it. 

For 160 hours, the tractor looks pretty rough/neglected. As Bill put it, it was driven hard and put up wet. I believe the guy who had it before Bill was this tractors worst nightmare. I'll get some better pictures later this week. The red paint is pretty faded but that just means I get to experiment with my orbital buffer that I have never used haha. I am super stoked about this machine! Gotta start learning about onans I guess!

Thanks again Bill, you da man!

• Like 6

KC9KAS

Sounds like a happy Wheel Horse/FEL owner!

AMC RULES

Nice score, for sure...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

originally, what were those rear weight plates? 

Jrblanke

I think they were plates from some excavator tracks, but I'm not sure.

Lane Ranger

Those orbitals work well on restoring finish/color etc!

Forest Road

Very nice!

Matt's foot pedal kit would be an awesome addition. Would really make operating it easier.

Desko

Great Score! And wishing I had gas prices that low lol

cheesegrader

+1 for the foot pedal, and a spinner knob helps too.

I sure hope you can give that tractor a better home.

I'll never understand how people can do so much damage to such solid tractors.

leeave96

James - Hope the tractor and loader is working out! Had mixed feelings about letting it go - good to know its in the hands of a fellow collector!

Get Matt's foot control kit and you'll love it!

Good luck,

Bill

Wheel-N-It

Sorry I missed this one when it was hot on the net James!!! Too much overtime at work is keeping me away from the important stuff like RedSquare.

Congragulations on purchasing a fine loader tractor. I know you will put it to good use. Thank you for calliing me last night to check in. I would not know you bought this if you had not told me. And BTW, you bought this Wheel Horse from a fine fellow. Bill is a good man, and I value his friendship as I do yours.

jackhammer

Nice score, for sure...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

originally, what were those rear weight plates? 

I was curious also,, I couldn't get the pics to blow up much and thought that it might have been sheeting  , but pretty sure you are correct

Cool set up and good luck with it

Good luck with the