sprinklerman79

312-8 moving very slow

sprinklerman79

My tractor simply started moving extremely slow while mowing last week. Plenty of oil in the transmission. Was mowing on and incline at some point. Going up, rolling back in neutral, going back up, etc. Not sure if this could be related to my problem. Replaced the drive belt for no reason because nothing changed. Thanks in advance!

rmaynard

You didn't slip the hi/lo lever into low range, did you?

gwest_ca

You did not include the model number. They started using a damper on the clutch linkage that can hang up causing the drive belt to slip. There are about 3 different versions of it. Slip your toe under the clutch pedal and pull it back to see if it makes a difference.

Garry

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Garry...that is excellent...I had no clue about that in those horses.  Just asking, but I will search it, is it in the manuals?? :eusa-think:

can whlvr

if its not the clutch then look at the keyways on axles and tranny drive pulley

sprinklerman79

Model number is 1619104774. And a no to the slipping it into low range.

gwest_ca

1619104774 looks like a 1986 Kohler serial number. If so the tractor will be 1986 model 21-12K802 or 21-12K803 or a 1987 model 21-12K804. The clutch damper did not start until 1988 in model 21-12K805.

Parts lists are here - just enter the long tractor model number.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Open the Clutch, Brake And Speed Control Linkage page and item 53 is the damper. It pushes against the lever the idler pulley is mounted on.

These early models still used the clutch pull back spring item # 48 on the left side so maybe in this case it is time for a new spring.

Garry