MalMac

What's so funny, I don't get it?

Lagersolut

15 or so years ago I was searching for a garden plow , classifieds , public sales,  sitting along the road etc , finally found one at a public sale,  ( I see what the Brinley plows are bringing here ,  I was the high bidder at 15 dollars that day  :flags-usa:  ) the plow was part of a set of attachments to an old   MTD garden tractor, I've never seen one like it since ,  at one time even MTD  made a unit capable of  doing work .  I'm  Guessing it was a  late 60's early 70's tractor , had all the attachments for garden work - a lawn roller etc , this thing gave the previous owner a lot of years service - it appeared  they were mowing and putting garden in with it  up to the sale .  brought 350 with a dead battery .

RMCIII

Bill -

I would say, of the box store types, sears actually still has the rest beat. If you look at the 6000 GT, it does still have a servicable rear end. That being said, it is still twice the price of anything Lowes or HD sells. But $3k vs. $7k and you would have something that is able to do some type of garden work.

Rob

leeave96

Bill -

I would say, of the box store types, sears actually still has the rest beat. If you look at the 6000 GT, it does still have a servicable rear end. That being said, it is still twice the price of anything Lowes or HD sells. But $3k vs. $7k and you would have something that is able to do some type of garden work.

Rob

Agreed 100% Cub Cadet makes a lawn/garden tractor with the same tranny - if it's the one I'm thinking about, a Hydro Gear G730 tranny. I like that transmission and read very good stuff about it. My brother came within a hair of buying a tractor with that tranny this past Spring.

FWIW - here's what else I think I know. The transmission in my Simplicity Landlord DLX is a Tuff Torq K71. It is "rated" ground engaging and is supposed to be stout enough for a moldboard plow. If you look at the specs, it a stronger tranny than the G730 from Hydro Gear. I don't think I would pull a moldboard plow with the Simplicity, but would use it with a push blade, tiller and to pull an aerator or utility trailer. I refer to the Simplicity as a sheet metal tractor - LOL! I would use a G730 tranny tractor like the Simplicity too.

I had to tow a crippled IH Cub Cadet of mine up a hill to the other side of my house and gave it a tug with the Simplicity - the tranny really groaned under the load before it started to spin. Broke out the 520H with ag's and weight and no sweat - pulled the IH up the hill no problems - tranny didn't sound any different if I was mowing the grass. But certainly the serviceable tranny's like the G730 and the K71 (similar K72 is used in the Deere x500 series tractors) are a step in the right direction.

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1

biggin

Back in the late 80's, my father wanted a mower with a bigger deck. we were mowing with our b 80 it's got a 36" deck. He picked up something from one of the farm stores. I was using the horse and he on the new one, after 2 seasons, the farm store mower deck was shot and the old horse just kept on mowing! I still have the little b 80 and treated it to bigger re power and restoration in the mid 90's.

aza6avum.jpg

Now I just picked up it's bigger brother to restore this winter, it's a 1973 16 auto.

uta8u6u7.jpg

02' DL

never finished

• Like 1

jrc0528

Reminds me of when my neighbor dropped his fishing boat (about a 19'er IIRC) and it drifted backwards into a hill.  This happened a good 18 years or so ago..  back when I was in middle school.  It ended up in such a was that he couldn't get it back onto his truck hitch as the prop was digging into the ground.  His 20-something HP Crapsman couldn't pull it so he came to me.  I got out the old WH 1055 which just happened to have the front blade on at the time and headed over.  I had a 2" ball setup that fit in the box hitch and raised and lowered off the height lever.  I dropped the ball, backed under the boat trailer, and lifted both blade and boat with a mighty tug on the handle!  Boy was that a heavy lift!  I set the throttle at a little under halfway, slid it into 1st gear, and gingerly and slowly let out the clutch.  For the first several feet my front tires were a good 6" off the ground and I wondered if they would ever drop back down.  After things got rolling the front end came back down and I reached for second gear (didn't realize back then that shifting on the fly is a bit rough on the old horses).  I proceeded to tow the boat up across his front yard and into the front field where he placed a For Sale sign on it.

Not wanting to admit that my old beast was that much better than his fancy Crapsman GT, my neighbor decided to prove that at least his tractor was FASTER!!  As soon as I was unhooked, he challenged me to a drag race back to the driveway, what with his 20-some HP and 6 speed transmission.  I humored him and shifted straight to 3rd as he was already moving.  As soon as my foot was off the clutch I reached down and gave the old throttle knob a good yank and grinned as all 10 horses sprung to life!    You should've seen the look on his face when the beast passed him like he was sitting still!!! :eek:   :laughing-rofl:  

I still have the old beast, although the mowing duty has been taken over by a much younger BX2350 now.  I use it for snow removal and any heavy tugging/hauling around the place, leaving the front blade and chains/weights on year-round now.  

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:wwp:

Ken B

Kinda of reminds me of the big blizzard we got a few yrs. ago. I had at least 2 ft. of snow in my driveway with almost 3 ft at the end of the drive.  When I first fired up my 520 a few of my neighbors were hangin out in the driveway across the street from my house. One says,  Ken you can borrow my snow blower (silly looking black snow blower with dual wheels on it) because its way to deep for a tractor. Say what? I told him to stand back and watch.... He commented the blower will do it much faster and it won't get stuck, with a few chuckles tossed in (and a few other comments between them that I couldn't hear and that only fired me up). My comment was, wanna put some money on it to make it interesting. No comment from the doubters.... I had to push it a little harder than usual but no way in hell was I gonna get stuck and have to borrow that big black goofy snow blower with dual wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YfAtca837s&list=UUcCqMFC38RZ38xk_D2sde-g

squonk

Not a hoer story but some what related. My retired engineer neighbor overkills everything. He built a large crate to put junk in. Be filled it and tried to drag it by the road with one of those rear engined Gravelys. All he did was pop wheelies and slammed his snow plow on the pavement. I got the Power King out before the loader was on it and hooked onto the crate. I dragged it. 20 yards

In 1st gear at idle

stevasaurus

Oh Yah!!!  Well once my brother and I sat up all night and drank a 12 pack of beer!!     :ychain::)

• Like 2

Firpo701

Oh Yah!!! Well once my brother and I sat up all night and drank a 12 pack of beer!! :ychain::)

Hahaha!!!! :laughing-rolling:

squonk

You sat up all night in the bathroom! 

post-2380-0-13463700-1407964295.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Oh Yah!!!  Well once my brother and I sat up all night and drank a 12 pack of beer!!     :ychain::)

C'mon, ain't no way it took you all night to drink six beers.   :angry-nono:

• Like 3

JimD

And so it began...

beer1.jpg

• Like 4

stevasaurus

As you can see...I was a lot younger then.  :)

AMC RULES

Awww...look at the baby Saurus. 

Ain't he cute.    Godzilla.gif

squonk

nice teeth!  :)  :)

I believe it! Hard to drink when you're  :teasing-blah:  :teasing-blah:  :teasing-blah:  :teasing-blah:  :teasing-blah: 

Digger 66

In 3 years , take your tractor for a spin by his place .

Then compare the two , giggle & ride off into the sunset .

My neighbor was the same way with my 66 Ariens snowblower , he laughed when he saw it when i moved into my new house . He's going on his 4th "big-box'er" in the last 17 years & my old girl keeps on throwin .

Now who's laughin ? 

• Like 4