woodworker4421

520h transmission

woodworker4421

i am new too wheelhorses. i just bought a 520h tractor real nice shape. when i check the transmission fluid not running fluid is ok now when i check it running it is at the low mark. when do you check the fluid?was the 520h tractor  a good tractor? is there somethings i should check for wear  or anything like that . was the onan motor good as kohler?how can i found out what year the tractor was made?the tractor model #73502 sn 7900102   engine p220g i/10955g   p/n 941811  sn e963538701. did the tractor come with a onan motor ?any input would help/ thank you 

Desko

Onan are good motors but have a history of dropping valve seats but with proper care they will last. As for the tractor they are great from what I've read but also have electrical issues and I have no clue about the hydro never had one and of it gas gear reduction steering and forward swept front axle its 91 or newer

Ed Kennell

:WRS:    Model # 73502 is a 1996 520H.   I have a 1988 520H that I am reconditioning for snow blowing. 

One of the major problems with the Onan is keeping enough cooling air flowing across the back cylinder . Overheating is what causes the valve seats to loosen.  You must keep the cooling fins clean of grass and oil.  After removing all the tin and cleaning the fins, I have added a seal around the oil filter to stop the air leak and force more air across the rear  cylinder.  I have also vented the belt guard to increase the flow.

The carb is very sensitive to dirt causing the engine to surge if it is not clean.  The electrical system is also a source of problems.   These are all problems that can be resolved. There are many threads on here detailing the process of correcting these problems.  Right now, my 520 is the strongest horse in my herd and I can't wait to try it in the snow.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:wwp:

:WRS:

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

Keep the engine clean and blow out the grass and leaves that get trapped around the transmission. The transmission oil level is checked with the motor off at operating temperature.

Red

km3h

Welcome to the Forum.

It's a Wheel Horse so it is a great tractor. If you care for it properly it will last forever. If you have problems be sure to come here. The folks on this forum can talk you through anything. So when are you going to start looking for your second Wheel Horse?

Oh and you must post some photos as soon as you are able.