WH857

Proud new owner!

WH857

Good afternoon. I've recently purchased a refurbished Wheel Horse 857 with mowing deck and snow blower attachment. I paid $650 for it and believe I got a steal. I've yet to use it but am hoping to rectify that this weekend, if the darn rain holds off. I'm looking for any opinions, good or bad, concerning this old tractor. I grew up mowing my grand-dad's acreage with a wheel horse classic. I know how dependable they can be. My curiosity is why this tractor was only manufactured in 1967, one year only. Were there issues identified after their production, etc, etc. Thanks for any info you can provide. I'd like to post a few photos but haven't figured how to do that yet!

Edited by WH857

nylyon

Welcome Chris.  857 is a nice machine, and will likely outlive all of us.  It is a one year machine because back then Wheel Horse model numbers reflected the year produced.   The 7 in 857 signified 1967. 

To attach files, you need to be in the "more reply options" page then look for "Attach Files" and you can upload the pictures directly to your pose.

Retired Wrencher

Welcome Chris.  857 is a nice machine, and will likely outlive all of us.  It is a one year machine because back then Wheel Horse model numbers reflected the year produced.   The 7 in 857 signified 1967. 

To attach files, you need to be in the "more reply options" page then look for "Attach Files" and you can upload the pictures directly to your pose.

to add to Nylon post they cam out with the commando series models in  1968. with the 6 and 8. 6 being a tecky and the 8 being a Kohler. nice little tractors I have a 857 also with a built proof Kohler in it. Enjoy the ride. Gary   B.......

Edited by T1257

Molon_Labe

Welcome to :WRS: and :text-worthless:

Geno

:text-welcomewave:     What M_Bailey said!   :rolleyes:

Wheel-N-It

Welcome, but we need pics!!! And lots of em!

953 nut

:WRS:   I won't rag on you for not including a bunch of photos; well not yet anyway! I know that a proud new :wh: owner will post a bunch sooner or later. 

As was said by others, the first number (numbers if it is 10 or 12) tells the horse power, the second number is a bit of a mix; 5 = electric start, 7 =  automatic transmision, 6 = six speed and a 0 = manual start. and the last is the year. This started in 1960 and ended in 1968. One exception is the 1054A which was built in 1965 but they had a 1055 which is a lot like yours, so they added an "A" to the 1054.

Hope the rain stops so you can get some seat time.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

WH857

Thank you all for the information. It's much appreciated. These are a few photos taken by the guy I bought the tractor from. I'm hoping to get to use the tractor for the first time tomorrow. More photos to follow.

post-13634-0-08766400-1406948805.jpg

post-13634-0-18161000-1406948840.jpg

post-13634-0-00832900-1406948858.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:wh: changed the name of your tractor to "Commando 8" the following model year '68. 

Really gorgeous tractor you have there...anxiously awaiting to see more.     :popcorn: 

:WRS:

slammer302

Thats a great looking 857 I'm currently restoring one for my daughter she wanted the 857 and a commando 8 was my first WH and I've used the heck out of it push snow plow the garden and mowe