dwcphoto

bubbles in engine oil

dwcphoto

Hi Folks,

If  anyone has a link to an existing thread, please forward it. I haven't found one.  When I checked the oil after mowing I saw some bubbles on the stick. I've seen this before right after an oil change.  It seems that I read something about this, but don't remember what it was.  Is this normal? 

Thank you very much, dwc

ps, Onan Performer 18.

Edited by dwcphoto

zieg72

Some oil foams more than others but this is normal.  When it bubbles out the dipstick is when you have to worry

dwcphoto

Thank you very much. These bubbles are way down on the dipstick and just a few. Appreciated. d

Fordiesel69

Normal, but do use a good oil, like a SAE30 diesel oil, or 15w-40.  Do not just run automotive oils like 5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40, etc......

dwcphoto

I didn't know that. I have 10w-30 in it now, as recommended by the book. What's the difference between something like a 15w-40 and 10w-40?  Thanks for your help. d

Fordiesel69

Being these engines have flat tappet lifters, and are air cooled, automotive oils are not equipped with the correct additive package for this configuration.  The oil companies are focused on creating superior oils for roller cam valve trains, clean emmissions, and making sure any microscopic amount of oil burning does not harm the catalytic converters.  This does not equate to the best formula for our old dinosaur technology engines.  Diesel oils still have a great additive pack for our engines.   

If you want to run a 10w-30, there are companies that make a diesel oil.  I would try that. 

Also if you want to learn about oil, try www.bobistheoilguy.com

• Like 2

dwcphoto

Thank you for your detailed explaination.  I'll give that site a look and do another oil change.  I definitely want to get as many years out of this old beauty as I can. Thanks! dwc

dwcphoto

Hi, would you put that same diesel oil in the Eaton 1100 hydro?  Thanks! d

Fordiesel69

No.  Just a plain old off the shelf 10w-30.  Or a synthetic like Pennzoil platiunum or mobil 1 or amsoil.

The tranny will just have metal, moisture, and shearing making the oil degrade.  The tranny is very easy on the oil, and after about 200 - 250 it will start to degrade.  WH says 100 hrs.  So I would stick to that.

Assume any WH you aquire will NEVER have the fluid changed.  The fluid in all the ones I have got, was always nasty.

dwcphoto

Thanks, Ford.  I put a 520 rear on my 518H a couple years ago and put fresh oil in it then. I was asking because I might change it now just to make sure any gunk that remained gets flushed out.  I really appreciate you sharing your knowlege. best, dwc